Author Topic: Rear Bow stuck down / Father's Day Disappointment  (Read 2777 times)

tarheel

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, MULLICA HILL
Rear Bow stuck down / Father's Day Disappointment
« on: June 18, 2017, 18:53:02 »
Happy Father's Day to all experts!  I'm in need of an information gift from you...

Today was the first day to take my hardtop off the 1969 280SL and drive topless.  The previous owner put a brand new black top on. 

I pulled the left top storage well lock lever and pulled up the cover of the storage well to expose convertible top.

Then I pulled the convertible top upward to attempt to reach A piller holes. 

However the back of the convertible top remained secured down.  I can not figure out how to disengage the back of the soft top so that the entire convertible top can be moved forward.

Also, when I look at the back bow of the soft top from inside, there is a fat metal hook that is visible - but I can't budge it.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to release the back of the soft top from the back of the well? It is stuck and I can't seem to get it released.

:'(

James

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 19:04:13 by tarheel »

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Re: Rear Bow stuck down / Father's Day Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 19:44:40 »
Hi James,
Happy Fathers day to you as well. I am no expert, but I have owned a few in the past 40 years.
The geometry of the frame is ingenious and so designed to push the rear bow backwards in order for the 'fat metal hook' to engage in a lock between the boot lid and the horse shoe cover.

Step 1. Drop the soft top back into it's storage bin.  Now, lift the entire hood frame up into the vertical position(do not allow the rear bow to stay behind) I say again, lift the entire hood upright.
Once you have the entire hood upright, fold the front section forward and engage front locks. Push the rear bow as far forward as possible and close and lock the horse shoe cover in position. Pull the rear bow down and push the 'fat metal hook' into rear the rear lock. Now close(lock) the front locks, remove and stow the handles and viola, all done.

To stow the soft top: pull the handle behind the left seat, which will release the ' fat metal hook' as well as the horse shoe cover. Lift the rear bow and push as far forward as possible. Carefully fully open the horse shoe cover. Release and disengage the front locks, ( remove and stow the locking handles) close and sandwich the roof in the vertical position before reclining the entire roof in the stowage area. Carefully tuck all loose ends and flaps into the stowage area, ensure the locking handles are removed before closing the horse cover.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 21:55:36 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGrXPTM_ks

a visual of cfm65's description.
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:58 »
You may also want to read this: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop#StuckSofttop

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!