Author Topic: Need help to decide if I should save this car  (Read 4770 times)

mbazinet

Need help to decide if I should save this car
« on: May 24, 2017, 01:24:19 »
Hi folks,  I have arrived at a difficult point  last year I took possession of my dads 1966 230 SL   the mechanics of the car are sound and I have repaired with help from our members  many issues: the fuel injection / electrical / drive train / Brakes .  The body looks fantastic from the top view, chrome and paint are beautiful,  interior is aged but nice.   
The undercarriage has significant rot so much that if I pull the cracks away in the various spots its all rot and I am afraid it runs deep.   Not sure if to invest to keep the value of the car plus its special to me.    I am thinking I need to tailer it down to SL TECH for evaluation, Gunther is a few hours from me. .

What are your thoughts ?  Items I can repair no problem, but a full body rebuild I may not be able to afford and my skills in this area my cause more damage rather than make it better.   i am a bit torn.  Suggestions ?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:15:07 by mbazinet »

johnm

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, NS, Lawrencetown
Re: Need help to decide if I should save this car
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 23:36:43 »
 Hello,
 I would suggest a professional assessment by an experienced owner is a very good idea. I purchased my 1970 280SL 71/2 years ago. I purchased it viewing photos only and came to find once I received it that it was very rotten (wood for floor pans, plexiglass to fill holes in the quarter panels). Most of the rust was unseen from the outside but once my son and I removed the fenders, quarter panels and other body parts that's where the real work began. Luckily my son is a skilled auto body technician and was able to fabricate much of what was required to rebuild the frame, floor and inner body panels. I've calculated we have over 3500 man hours into the car. Again luckily no cost for labour but approximately $10,000.00 in beer. I've spent approx. 15,000.00 in body parts and supplies including discs, sandpaper, welding gas, primer, paint, Band-Aids and presents for my wife. Its truly been a fantastic journey but not inexpensive. This weekend is the final chapter to the 71/2 year journey. The exhaust will be installed professionally and a safety inspection done which is mandatory in Canada. If all goes well my son and I will take our first ride together bringing the 280SL back home from a shop near by. We worked on a tight budget but nothing is impossible. Through this forum we have learned a great deal. I hope you are able to find a way to keep your car in your family as I will with mine. Thanks for allowing me to share a bit of our journey with you. Good luck with what lies ahead with your Pagoda.
1970 280SL
1966 250S

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:45 »
As you said, go and see Gernold, he will tell you.
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:00:10 »
It would be pitty not to make her a beauty again. Especially if you already did a lot to restore her.
To be honest - the condition, I can imagine, may not be that untypical - mine was probably very similar.
The best is to have someone look at it. I have no idea about the prices in the US and what would the scope of work be.
In terms of affordability maybe you could make it in stages...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:29:34 »
In your message you said it all: this car is about your emotions. Your dad owned it and it is special to you. Past memories are priceless, and worth preserving them. But also think ahead, how many pleasurable moments you would have in this car in the future, once it is roadworthy again.

Although you have a few vintage cars in you stable I have a feeling that no other car can probably replace your dad's Pagoda.

So, I am not sure if there really is a choice to be made??? 
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 16:34:51 »
It,s a no brainer, at the very least let Gunther look at it.
Once its gone, its gone for good and with so many great memories it must be worth preserving even if it takes time to do.
I always try and get my mind in the state of ' so its gone now, forever '  and see how you would feel. If you don't feel bad or sad then you have your answer but i suspect it will be the other way.
Ray

mbazinet

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 00:47:16 »
Thank you all very much for your kind and thoughtful words. Very much appreciated, yes it's an emotional desison
clouded behind money issues, have to keep a straight mind so as to not go too deep financially. And yes build a bit in for marital presents !
As recommended, I will call Gunther this week and see if he can look at the car and give me a professional appraisal of the work needed to get her roadworthy.
I am lucky to live in Maine and have him relatively close as I hear he has a great reputation. I will keep you appraised as to what he tells me and my next steps.
 Dad is still very active but he can't drive a stick any longer so thus the reason to pass the car along to me as I always was the one that took care of the car and appreciated it since I was a teenager. 
Dad's thoughts are if it's really bad sell it "as is" and cut the loss. But to me it's just too valuable as family possesion and I want to keep her on the road. I think really deep down he had no idea of the rust issue and didn't expect to give me a financhial burden.
I feel a bit bad as I did so much to the mechanics last year and got it running very well , now this just in time for the season. I guess I never dug too deep because I didn't want to see the real picture.   Thank you all. More to follow:

mbazinet

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 02:07:04 »
Thought you all would enjoy seeing the car as it looks today:

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 04:41:04 »
Looks definitely attractive!

Should we create a support movement: SAVE A PAGODA? ;D
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 21:20:19 »
Who needs Mustangs when you have this anyway?   :D
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 23:38:17 »
I am restoring a car that was as rusty as yours. From experience you can figure somewhere north of 30,000USD to make it right again. This does not include any other interior or driveline refurbishment.  These cars were very well built but being fully welded together it does cause some fairily complex repairs.  In order to replace the sills and floors at the very least the lower fenders and quarterpanels must be cut away.  If you were given the car it is really tough to spend more on the car than it is worth. 

It is good that you are near Arundel and can ask Gernold to render an opinion.  His will be an honest assesment as he knows these cars well and is known to be very meticulous. As a final thought beware anyone who uses the words easy, simple or reasonably priced.  Done well the car increases in value.  Done poorly and it empties your wallet and you receive little in return.

mbazinet

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 18:32:07 »
Thank you,  thats a very good point to have with me,  Arundel first,  determine the estimated restoration costs then determine final value  and  balance the emotional connection.

Thanks very much folks I appreciate all your inputs. They really do help !

Renewed my second year membership today ! This is a great site.