Author Topic: Piazza Duomo Parma Mercedes-Benz Mille Miglia Challenge 2017  (Read 3463 times)

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
The Mercedes Challenge is one of the two supporting events for the Mille Miglia.  On the road the Challange cars precede the Mille Miglia cars by about one hour and a half and basically run to the Mille Miglia rules as an official regularity event.   This year there were 27 participants, all 2006 and later model Mercedes, except for one 190SL and one Pagoda.  The other supporting event is the Ferrari Tribute.

The Pagoda entered was a 1966 230SL.  The driver and co-driver were Fabrizio and Claudio Gandolfo, both listed in the starting list as Italians.  I do not know if they are the owners of the car or if they happen to be members here.  A couple of pictures are attached as they approach and leave the finish line for the third leg in Parma.  If you are a Pagoda owner this is about as close as you can get to participating with your car in the Mille Miglia.

A picture of the 190SL is also attached.  190SLs are now eligible for participation in the Mille Miglia and this year there were three cars entered in the main event.  Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures.

Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
Fantastic, thanks for sharing those, i didn't realise there were supporting events.
Wouldn't it be great if there were a few more Pagodas entered in the Mercedes Challenge, just thinking out loud.
Do you know what the criteria for entrants are, from what you say about this years entrants any thing goes.
Best wishes
Ray

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
Ray, for the 2017 event you can review all the information here in great detail:

www.mercedesbenzchallenge.1000 miglia.it

According to the printed regulations up to 60 Mercedes vehicles can be registered of which 35 places are reserved for historic vehicles (prior to 31/12/1990).  This year there were 27 vehicles shown on the official starting list, only two of which were "historic."  These are the two pictured in my earlier post.

I may be wrong but I suspect that participation cost may be the reason for the small number. The base cost is about €9500 per car entrance fee which includes some hotels and meals for crew but there are many other costs to add (support crew cost, travel, possibly shipping cost, etc., etc.).

How much are you willing to pay for four days of extreme enjoyment?

Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
Wow, yep 9,500 + would explain a lot, guess we will remain on the outside looking in.  Not always a bad thing. Hope to make it one year to cross it of the list.

Extreme enjoyment is a good choice of words, i understand it is definitely a gruelling drive.

Cheers  Ray