Author Topic: 280SL removing door panel  (Read 7223 times)

Woodstock

280SL removing door panel
« on: April 17, 2017, 16:38:28 »
I am attempting to remove the door panel to access the window frame.  Have removed all the obvious plates, screws armrest, door lock, window crank, etc.  Have lifted the panel up and everything is loose and ready to come off .... except the interior door opener seems securely fixed into the metal panel.  Have attempted to pry it out with plastic prying tools and it seems to be firmly fixed.  Rather than continue to pry and potentially break something, am asking if there is a trick that I am not aware of.  Reading the technical data on this site I see no mention of any particular trick or hidden screw that needs to be undone??? 

Unrelated to the removal issue, I have noticed that the backing board for the door is partially gone at the bottom (bottom 3-4" simply missing) due to deterioration as a result of the door having no plastic rain protection.  The board has been undoubtedly exposed to the elements over the years and simply crumbled away (remaining board at the bottom simply crumbles if touched).  Is attaching new backing boards to the panel a job best left to professionals or something that can be accomplished by a typical shade tree mechanic type such as myself???

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: 280SL removing door panel
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 17:00:28 »
Not sure if I am reading you right, but underneath the black plastic insert, under the interior door opener handle, is a small screw/bolt. You need to remove the plastic insert and then take out that small bolt. Careful not to drop and lose it.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Woodstock

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 17:18:04 »
Ok ... that sounds reasonable (explains how firmly attached it seems),  will try to remove the black plastic insert to access the screw .... Thanks!!

jimwhitin

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 19:48:38 »
Did anyone answer this first question about the door latch? I have the same problem.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 21:17:29 »
The first question was answered by Cees but to clarify - you need to carefully pry off the plastic.  It helps if it’s warm. There is a screw that needs to be removed (in order to remove the door panel) that is accessible once the plastic is removed. 

this only appplies to 280sl (or late 250sl).   

The plastic inserts were still available new from Mercedes for very little money as recent as 6 months ago. 

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Steve.k

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 02:02:45 »
Here’s a close up shot for you.   I documented the door panel removal and have photos of every step and every screw if you need advice putting it back.   There are several different types of screws and can easily get mixed up.   

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 07:14:37 »
On the exploded drawings in the EPC (also SLS) you can also see a piece of foam going under the black insert. As it was not available in Mercedes, I just cut it in the shape I thought would be appropriate. Not that this piece of foam is important, just a detail there.

I also bought the black plastic inserts from MB a few months ago.

As for the door panel replacement, you have some tips here: https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Interior/DoorTrim

Others would have to chime in on how difficult it is.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 09:19:58 »
Hi Guys,
As a matter of interest the 230SL and early 250 had a similar cover inserted, but it is a black plastic half round cup covering the little securing screw.
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

Tom in seattle

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Shoreline
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 21:46:17 »
Also, the top of the door panel is a metal section which is held in place by glue and a number of clips that grip the inner aluminum door frame. Once you get everything else free be careful to keep track of the clips and do not bend the metal part.  It should stay attached to the panel. I like to take photos of things as I take them apart as a guide to reassembly.
Tom Averill
1967 250 SL Auto Euro Spec

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
  • 280SL Mfg date AUG 1969
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 18:52:01 »
Hello Steve,

I just pulled off all of the parts from the door including the chrome parts. I am wondering if you know of anyone selling a kit of all the screws for these parts. I am have the chrome parts re-chromed and the leather parts recovered, so I’d like to have new screws too.

Best,
RB
RB

Steve.k

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 23:00:15 »
Authentic Classics can help you out with that.   Use code AUTPC for a 5% discount on checkout.   
I’m not affiliated with them in any way, just a loyal customer that has bought lots of bits and pieces over the past year.   I’ve dealt with all of the other usual vendors and find these guys offer the quickest service and real MB parts in most cases.

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 08:02:04 »
Here’s a close up shot for you.   I documented the door panel removal and have photos of every step and every screw if you need advice putting it back.   There are several different types of screws and can easily get mixed up.

Hi Steve,

I would be interested in seeing sight of this.  Unfortunately my door cards were already disassembled when I bought my car.  Any help with understanding which screws go where would be helpful for me.  Specifically interested in which screws are used on the armrest and the Door Pocket/Bin.

Steve
250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 17:09:25 »
Ditto and documentation of 280SL door panel/card removal.  Above link is for 230/250SL.
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"

Xhafer Orhan

• Junior Level
  • USA, MI, Grosse Pointe Woods
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 18:04:34 »
RB,  I note that you say you are having all the chrome and leather redone.  I have a 230SL the leather on the driver's side door arm rest of which has cracked and am having a devil of a time locating anyone who will take on replacing the leather on such a small job.  The crack is spreading and I would appreciate any suggestion you have on a repair facility preferably in the Detroit Michigan area.  Thanks  Jeff.................