Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz US International, Vance Alabama  (Read 3886 times)

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
Mercedes-Benz US International, Vance Alabama
« on: February 21, 2017, 21:53:33 »
This week I have house guests from Boston and Italy. A couple of weeks before my guest’s arrival I reserved space on a plant tour at the Vance Mercedes-Benz facility. Yesterday morning three of us joined a group of about 15 for the guided tour.  Fantastic!!

The plant, now celebrating their 20th birthday, covers about 1000 manicured acres which seems more like a park than the giant industrial complex it is.

This is an hour and a half, up-close-and-personal, walking tour. Our tour was of the "C" class line in Plant 2.

We viewed the robotic assembly and welding of bare body paneling, the painting department, detail assembly of components such as the door line, incorporation of large components such as the dash into the already painted body shells and the marriage of the suspension/engine/drive train assembly with the nearly completed body. Finally we viewed the new C class fired up and driven off the end of the assembly line. Unfortunately, no pictures are allowed in the plant.  The overall impression is of an extremely well organized and efficient operation in a spotless clean facility with heavy emphasis on quality.

The tour starts and ends in the visitor’s center which includes a modest museum, with historical Mercedes displays, a Mercedes souvenir/gift/gear shop and a few interesting cars from the past and present (No Pagodas). If you are passing through Alabama it is well worth a stop.

Tours presently operate on Monday and Wednesday at 9:00am and 12:00 noon.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
Re: Mercedes-Benz US International, Vance Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 22:01:58 »
...a couple of pics...
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 01:19:15 »
Hi Ralph,

In 2009 I toured three plants in Germany Mercedes near Stuttgart , BMW in München and VW, Dresden.

Each one did not allow a camera to be taken into the factory at the time, like yourself I was fascinated by the degree of perfection the cars are build.

The VW factory really impressed me parts and the required specialized tools would come out from the floor to the technicians for assembly and/or testing. It is a Glass Factory, the visitor can follow the assembly of the car throughout the factory looking thro glass all of the time following the progress. When I was there the manufactured the high end Volkswagen Phaeton, production of this car ended last year. Dresden has severe memories for me, I spend weeks in air-raid shelters there as a child surviving the boomings. The factory is downtown and one of the cleanest I had the pleasure to tour. Special street cars have been modified to deliver parts for the assembly of the car. You could practically eat of the floor it was that clean as you will note in the video. Now years later I found this video, no need for a camera anymore. just skip the commercial when the clip starts.

Video link ----> https://youtu.be/nd5WGLWNllA

The BMW factory was the same, no cameras allowed so one can leave it in the car. The assembly technology is the same, robots everywhere as the video exhibits (more videos are available along the side bar once the clip opens).

Video link ----> https://youtu.be/libw1rV2McY

The Mercedes factory is very near the main delivery centre were customers from all around the world pick up there new cars. For the tour one is taken by bus on a short ride to the factory. I was lucky at the time and was attached to a group of customers that received a special tour before they picked up there new car (the lady at the desk explained that one needs reservations, however, attached me to the tour since I came from Canada :) she made an exception. At one point during the tour there was a stoppage of the line where the body was spot welded. The tour guide made us wait till the line started again. The next car body was moved into a cage with 3 robots on each side then the sparks stared to fly all over the place during the tack weld operation. It was quite something to see. The tour guide explained "I made you wait since I wanted you to see this segment of the operation. This operation used to take 1 minute for the tack weld operation our Engineers reduced this by 6 seconds" we were quite impressed. I'm sure it makes quite a difference in the yearly production.

A typical video link here ---> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pAuzMD7UUYY

Naturally I also visited the above museums including the Porsche one in Stuttgart, it was a great trip. In July I will be part of the Mosel Tour (my first trip back to the old country since I was there last in 2012). While there I will visit the AMG engine plant I like to see first hand how the fellows (one engine one man) assemble those powerful engines then put there name on it :)

The AMG clip is here ---> https://youtu.be/ri_LFckaT7g

Cheers,

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:22:14 »
Great stuff Dieter, thanks for posting the video links!!
Ralph

1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy