Author Topic: Pagoda-ish Luggage for a Modern-ish Pagoda  (Read 5697 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Pagoda-ish Luggage for a Modern-ish Pagoda
« on: February 17, 2017, 19:42:43 »
Since my Italian '66 230SL restoration is developing into a modern-ish Pagoda to be driven daily at least 6 months per year here in Quebec, I thought I would show my latest fabrication and associated acquisition.

You all know that one can buy reproduction luggage straps for the Pagoda trunk, that original Hepco fitted luggage is very rarely available on eBay for $5,000 plus and that magnificent and high quality but not really perfect reproduction Pagoda fitted luggage can be purchased for not much less.

I've coveted fitted luggage for a long time but can't pay "million-dollar-collector-car" fitted luggage prices for a (way) less than $100K car.  Why buy original when my car is already corrupted by cruise control, a retro style modern radio with four speakers, a home-made retro style console with integrated AC and supplemented Heat, cruise control switches and a monitor for front and rear parking cameras (I'm tired of repairing and re-chroming bumpers).

Since I read that there is a question whether luggage straps should be the color of the luggage and upholstery or black/brown, I decided that it would be prettier if it was luggage and upholstery color, so I made it that way for a little labor and about $15.

Two identical one inch wide navy blue belts and an extra four inch long 1/4 inch drive chromed extension cut into two 1-9/16 long pieces gave me my luggage strap (second photo).

That was to go with the brand new and unused 1960's five-piece set of Pierre Cardin navy blue vinyl luggage that I found on eBay for $132 US including shipping and customs to Canada from Virginia (first photo).  The style is not quite like the Hepco luggage but since one has to be a Pagoda fanatic to know the difference, it's good enough for me.  The sizes are within about an inch of the Hepco luggage as well, and it came with original locks, keys, Pierre Cardin luggage tags and even little paper guarantee tags (expired naturally after 50 years).

For less than $150 total, and since I drilled no holes (à la Jim Villers' rule), I figure I'm still golden regarding car value.

Saving money has always given me a lot of pleasure.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
Re: Pagoda-ish Luggage for a Modern-ish Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 19:48:18 »
Love it and your ingenuity! Way to go! ;D
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

CraigD

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, WA, Lake Tapps, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 16:35:55 »
Great job!
Craig
'70 280SL Euro
'55 300S Roadster
'29 Franklin Speedster
'37 Cord S/C Cabriolet (RHD)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 16:14:23 »
I agree, a very cool alternative.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 18:15:23 »
Thank you all.  The belt was really simple and could just as easily be made to copy the original Mercedes tie-down strap.  Unfortunately, it's necessary to look in the ladies department, since almost all men's belts are more than an inch wide.  One can, however, buy straps and buckles from a leather craft shop on the internet.

Nineteen-sixties vinyl soft sided luggage is normally readily available on eBAy using adjectives like vintage, sixties, and retro added to the word "luggage" or luggage sets.  The source of my blue set had/has another identical five-piece set that was/is burgandy in color and in equally good shape for the same price.  I'm sure there are lots like these available on eBay.

The sale has expired but I may be able to find his eBay store if anyone is interested.

Tom Kizer

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 01:22:10 »
Here are a couple of photos for Baron Youngman, to go with the PM I sent.
Bob, until I saw the photo, I didn't even know that I had not fully engaged the belt pin in the clip.

Tom Kizer