Author Topic: OEM vs URO weatherstrip seals  (Read 5083 times)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
OEM vs URO weatherstrip seals
« on: February 09, 2017, 01:08:01 »
When it comes to rubber seals that are touched by glass I prefer the OEM ones over aftermarket. Well, after attempting to install a new Mercedes seal on my hardtop I am not so sure. The OEM quality is no longer what it was, that is, I remember the corners on these seals to be vulcanized together. Now they are "like glued"!
When I tried to squeeze the corner into the horizontal and vertical rails it promptly split. Now the vertical piece sticks out on the corner and makes a nice whistling sound at speeds >30 mph.
Take a look at the photos. The intact one (top photo) is for the right site, the split one (lower photo)for the left site.
The second photo also shows how the URO part is manufactured at that spot. No problem installing that one!
Perhaps something for the URO bashers to think about.  ;)
And for Mercedes to improve!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:22:14 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
Re: OEM vs URO weatherstrip seals
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 17:14:17 »
I got all the uro seals for my resto except for windshield, for which i got oem. Me thinking uro had to come up with comparable quality at least.

I seriously doubt mercedes would redo their product line at this point, simply because it is low production number. Does anyone know if mb maybe outsourced this production to another vendor and then mb only slaps on the logo?
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 18:17:24 »
When buying URO vers. OEM seals, do you have to buy them through a vendor or are you able to buy them direct from URO? I saw their web side but didn't see a possibility to purchase.
Who is good vendor for these ($$) to buy from?
Thanks
Dirk
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 18:31:18 »
Not to dilute original converse, but I only bought them on eBay. Did not see uro selling them to public directly.
Anyone experiencing issues similar to 66andBlue?
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 18:46:23 »
When buying URO vers. OEM seals, do you have to buy them through a vendor or are you able to buy them direct from URO? I saw their web side but didn't see a possibility to purchase.
Who is good vendor for these ($$) to buy from?
Thanks
Dirk
Dirk,
The best way to search for it is by the MB part number. For example if you google: "Mercedes part 1137252066, URO"
you get this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Mercedes+part+1137252066%2C+URO&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Personally I try to buy from AutohausAZ if I can get enough together for free shipping. Again search for the MB part number on their web site:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?searchtype=partnumber&partnumber=1137252066&searchbutton.x=36&searchbutton.y=5

However, I do not claim that URO parts are better than MB parts, my experience is limited to rubber parts. URO or A.P.A. makes a huge number of Mercedes parts now - some of which may be even re-badged by MB, who knows!?
http://www.uroparts.com/uro/inventory/list?make=Mercedes-Benz&cat=7
Alfred

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 19:48:28 »
Alfred,
Understood.
And thank you.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 20:24:46 »
Quote from: 66andBlue
..../... a huge number of Mercedes parts now - some of which may be even re-badged by MB, who knows!?.../...
The vendors that supply to M-B Classic [perhaps to Daimler as well] are not openly visible - a company privacy issue of course.
But, be assured, there is not a little corner in the M-B factory in Sindelfingen where a group of emplyees, alongside and intermingled with the current S-class, E-class etc. production lines, busy themselves with making parts for a vehicle type where production ceased some 50yrs ago... :o
That is just not the way it works in the auto industry... 

Mercedes Classic is a separate entity, and they order and sell parts for older types of Mercedes made by their network of chosen vendors. Production orders are for parts made according to the M-B specifications and drawings (which of course M-B Classic have full rights and access to). Thus, those parts can be duly marked with the M-B star and label ! The associated quality control is one reason for price differences.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 22:22:22 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Tyler S

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 21:04:36 »
Another source for seals and other parts for our cars is Pelican Parts. http://www.pelicanparts.com
One great thing is they list the OEM and Aftermarket parts side by side with both prices so you can compare costs. Even order OEM if you choose to.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 21:29:10 »
Tyler, now that you mentioned it, I have bought a rear tail light assembly for my wife's car from from Pelican. (Supposedly a shopping cart hit her).
Mercedes dealer was $455, pelican for identical MB part was $260.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 21:46:22 »
....Mercedes Classic is a separate entity, and they order and sell parts for older types of Mercedes made by their network of chosen vendors. Production orders are for parts made according to the M-B specifications and drawings (which of course M-B Classic have full rights and access to). Thus, those parts can be duly marked with the M-B star and label ! The associated quality control is one reason for price differences.
Hans,
I believe you missed my point, that was, is it possible that URO/A.P.A is now a supplier for Daimler for some parts? Note, I am writing about Daimler NOT just the Classic Center here or in Germany.
Whether all replacement parts are made according to old specs and drawings is open for discussion. The part I got from the dealer in an official bag with Mercedes Star and label must have passed the much hyped "Daimler Quality Control", correct?
Quality control now means "wait until we have X or Y numbers of reported problems" and then we'll take a look.
Didn't we discuss a few month ago the none-fitting exhaust down pipes sold by Daimler, that are now suddenly NLA?
Alfred

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 22:21:42 »
Quote from: 66andBlue
.../...I believe you missed my point.../...
Er.. ok quite possibly so...  Anyway, I´m with you all the way in what you state. Yes, it is possible that URO/A.P.A is a supplier for Daimler for some parts. I do not know. I adjust my writing in previous post to reflect that

.../... The part I got from the dealer in an official bag with Mercedes Star and label must have passed the much hyped "Daimler Quality Control".../...
Yes, that is so. But sometimes they miss out, for certain. The rear axle rubber support (in the trunk) is another infamous example...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 22:27:02 by mbzse »
/Hans S