Author Topic: Door latch  (Read 2410 times)

balimatharu

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Coventry
Door latch
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:08:52 »
Recent member. Still novice to the forum.
Recently bought 250sl 1967. It is UK supplied.
It has ignition , auto transmission and fuel injection problems. Most of these issues are being ironed out.
I need some advice on the body issues.
1) the door latch striker is loose and wobbly. The latch is firmly screwed to the body but the chrome part is very loose. Otherwise it looks decent. Can this be fixed. Have to bang the door very hard to close. Have tried adjusting.
2) The hand brake ( emergency) is on the wrong side as it is on LHD's. Can this brake lever be moved to the right side of the tunnel. It probably will be more useable and easy to use.

I will appreciate some advice from the members
Bali

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Australia, New South Wales, Darling Point
Re: Door latch
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 04:53:56 »
Hi Bali. Congratulations and welcome. As far as I am aware, all W113's left the factory with handbrakes placed on the left side of the tunnel. The easiest way to address the accessibility problem in RHD cars is to fit retractable seat belts, which enable the driver to reach forward without unbuckling. If you really do want to move the lever to the right hand side of the tunnel, I believe it can be done. In fact, there is a recent thread on the subject, as started by one of your compatriots, whose 280SL already has been modified this way. I will try and locate the thread for you.

With regard to door lock striker plates, these are a problem. Please have a look at the thread I started on this subject last month. Replacement strikers are readily available for 230SL's and early 250SL's, as they are for late 280SL's. Unfortunately, striker plates for late 250SL's and 280SL's up to July 1969 are very hard to source. For a full explanation, have a look at the relevant technical database on this website and the SLS.de spare parts website.
Regards
Pip1947

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Australia, New South Wales, Darling Point
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:46:08 »
Hi Bali. If you have a look at the thread started by John, "Yet another barn find" on the photo gallery forum, on: October 22, 2016, 11:55:38 You will see he purchased a white '68 RHD 280SL in Edinburgh. John also posted some photos, one of which shows the handbrake re-located to the hrs of the tunnel.

* 02.08.16 B.jpg (1388.85 kB, 800x450 - viewed 76 times.)

* 02.08.16 C.jpg (1422.71 kB, 800x450 - viewed 80 times.)

* 280 D.jpg (238.74 kB, 800x597 - viewed 125 times.)

Cheers
Pip1947

balimatharu

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Coventry
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 21:01:12 »
Hi Pip
Thanks for your response.
I would like to hear from someone who has done the swapping of the hand brake.
I think this would need some sort of brackets to harness the brake handle.
Also the handle needs to be straightened a bit so it can lie flat against the tunnel.
Bali