Author Topic: PUB 2017-Virginia--->Car Pools, Caravans, Meet-ups along the way  (Read 18142 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
I wasn’t sure where to put this post, since it does not seem to fit the following currently active PUB2017-Virginia threads.

The first official one was “2017 PUB Virginia”, started in the Events section by Raymond on November 14, which has become a sort of general PUB 2017 discussion thread.  Still active.

The second one was “Planned Attendance for PUB Virginia 2017 Table REV 03”, started in the Full Member Board section by Rolf-Dieter on December 2, which is a sort of centralized registry of persons planning, or at least “hoping” to attend with specific information about their plans.  Still active

The third one was “Heads-Up: Hotel Information for PUB 2017 Virginia”, started by ctaylor738, also in the Events section on January 5, which is specifically to help attendees find accommodation in the area around Charlottesville, Virginia for those planning to attend PUB 2017.  Still active.

It seems to me that a thread where “organizing convoys” to PUB 2017 can be facilitated might be useful to attendees wanting to join a convoy as well as being a place where multiple convoys might be organized without “hijacking” one of the other already busy threads.  I have participated previously in a 3-car convoy to Palm Beach, Florida and another 3-car convoy to Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.  Both were beneficial from the point of view of keeping the cars running.  Walkie-Talkies really help. 

The idea is that this thread may be used to organize several different convoys.  Since I may be the person farthest due North of Charlottesville, Virginia, I’ll start with my tentative plans to see if there might be routes and timing convenient to other attendees.

Tom Kizer
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:43:21 by Peter van Es »
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Re: PUB 2017-Virginia--->Car Pools, Caravans, Meet-ups along the way
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 18:50:17 »
Quebec, Canada to Charlottesville, Virginia

I and my passenger, Christian Beaudoin, plan to leave the Quebec City area on Wednesday morning Sept. 13 and either drive to Montreal, Quebec, then turn South on U.S. I-87 to Albany, N.Y. then U.S. I-88 to Binghampton, N.Y. or alternatively Trans-Canada 401 from Montreal to Kingston, Ontario, cross the St-Laurence River there and turn South on U.S. I-81 to Binghampton, N.Y.  From there it's a straight run South on U.S. I-81 to within a few miles of PUB 2017.

We plan to spend the night somewhere in southern Pennsylvania (to be determined) so that we can arrive at PUB on Thursday afternoon to help set up for Friday PUB.  We are booked at the U of V Inn at Darden Thursday night Sept. 14 through Monday morning Sept 18.  One way, it's a 13 hour 45 minute trip for us.

We can meet up with anyone traveling either of those routes (but not both) somewhere along the way.  The best would probably be to choose an overnight stop and meet up there either Wednesday night Sept 13 or Thursday morning Sept 14.

We're pretty flexible with anything that gets us to the hotel in Charlottesville on Thursday evening.

Is anybody interested in a Convoy?

Tom Kizer
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 15:39:20 by Tomnistuff »

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 01:51:19 »
Hi Tom,

There is a Planning Committee for the PUB-Virginia and we plan to use an event website to register participants, sell tickets and coordinate travel plans.  Once you click on "Tickets," you will be lead into a series of questions and one of the questions you will be asked to answer is the postal code nearest your departure point.  From this information, it will be possible for others to determine that potential "convoy" partners are nearby or along your route.

For those flying, we are asking for airport information, which we will share with others flying in so that those arriving at a similar time and airport can carpool to Charlottesville.

So stay tuned for more information.  We are still testing and developing the event page and we will post a link when the page is ready.  However, if you want to use the forum or thread now to coordinate in advance, that works too.

Another part of your post addresses a problem we sometimes have with big events, and that is multiple threads for a single event.  I don't know how to solve this, but at some point we will have the "Definitive Thread" for PUB 2017 where we will try and consolidate all postings and responses.  Perhaps we will pin several topics at the top of event page such as "PUB-Virginia Registration", "PUB-Virginia Convoys", and "PUB-Virginia FAQ".  If anyone has thoughts on how to help avoid confusion over where to find information about PUB-Virginia, please share.

At this point, there is not a lot of information that has been released other than one thread announcing PUB-Virginia, one thread where people declare their intent to come to PUB, one thread for hotel information and this thread.

Best,

Tom
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 18:24:25 »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the clarification.  I'll wait for you and your team to get the "PUB 2017 threads" organized.  I'm certain that you guys know better how to organize a multi-purpose thread than I do.  It's not like convoys have to be organized as early as this anyway.  There's plenty of time to do it right.

I'll keep monitoring the existing threads and stay out of your way.

By the way, I've read quite a bit about Ramsay Farm and look forward to seeing it.  As I've said before, I love colonial American architecture.  I love all the styles so much that I built a Louisiana style French Colonial Plantation home overlooking the St-Laurence River in Quebec when I retired to Canada from Michigan.

Keep up the good work for the club.

Thanks,

Tom Kizer

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 03:44:29 »
Tom,

Thanks for your initiative in getting people thinking about convoys and gathering to travel together.  Your post here is helpful and will not detract at all from what we are planning so I would encourage you and others to continue to use this thread to help jump-start people's thinking about their travel plans.

Your summary of the posts that already exist about PUB-Virginia was also helpful.  I sometimes struggle in the forums to find information about events and having your summary of all the posts is only a positive. 

More to come soon about PUB-Virginia!

Best,

Tom
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 15:42:45 »
Thanks, Tom, for your kind remarks.

If we continue to use this thread temporarily to organize convoys, I suggest that anyone wishing to discuss a particular convoy or suggest a new one "Subtitle" his or her post with the origin and destination similar to what I did in the second post, "Quebec, Canada to Charlottesville, Virginia".  That way 1) many convoys can be discussed cleanly in the same thread, 2) a particular convoy discussion will be easy to follow and add-to simply by skipping through the post Subtitles, 3) a new convoy proposal can be inserted and developed without hijacking other convoy discussions and 4) if or when a "Master" multi-purpose thread is created for PUB2017, the convoys under discussion will be easy to sort, cut and paste into the convoy part of the "Master" thread, if desired.

To make it easier to decide whether a particular convoy is of interest, I also suggest an "origin to destination map" be included in the first post.  As I have just done for the "Quebec, Canada to Charlottesville, Virginia" initial convoy post above.

Anyway, I hope we can work out a way to make convoys easy to organize because they are so much fun and beneficial.

Tom Kizer

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 19:16:59 »
Tom,

Thanks for your initiative in getting people thinking about convoys and gathering to travel together.  Your post here is helpful and will not detract at all from what we are planning so I would encourage you and others to continue to use this thread to help jump-start people's thinking about their travel plans.

Your summary of the posts that already exist about PUB-Virginia was also helpful.  I sometimes struggle in the forums to find information about events and having your summary of all the posts is only a positive. 

More to come soon about PUB-Virginia!

Best,

Tom

Hi Tom,

As you recall from my past e-mail I was concerned if or if not I should continue with the Table of Attendees. At the time you felt it was helpful, however, I now find that it may lead to confusion. For that reason I've made one final Revision 04 to my table and made reference to your post here since you and Chuck are close to issuing more information pertaining to the PUB event soon.

My last Revision 04 can be seen here ---> http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=25297.0

I know that the information you mentioned in our earlier e-mail corespondance will be far superior and more helpful to members.

Best,

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 03:09:12 »
Rolf,

I think your initial post has been helpful as a preliminary indication of interest in PUB in a new location.  We know that Blacklick was a popular destination and was historically well attended.  Changing locations is always a risk and your post helped determine there is a high level of interest in a Charlottesville, Virginia location for PUB.

So I would encourage you to maintain this thread to continue to gather interest.  It is important to note that we will need to limit overall participation to around 100 participants and I would encourage those that have a significant interest in attending to register on the thread (it does not take long) so that we can be sure to notify you when the registration site is available.  We will post a general announcement but those listing their interest in that thread will get an individual invite via email. 

Best,

Tom
1971 280sl Beach Driver

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 04:40:19 »
Hi Tom,

As per your request I’ve edited the first post of the table thread and unlocked the tread. Once your registration and activity threads are up I will then lock the table thread. I understand that the site you plan to post then will allow members to find other members near there area to organize caravans etc.

I’m sure you will also make available a list of all attendees once everything is finalized later in the year that will then aid members during the event. It’s nice to put a first name of someone to a forum handle :) this was one of my plans when I mentioned to make copies of the table. Your list in the end would be the more complete one.

Best

Dieter

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 16:19:54 »
Just make sure Dieter, that the Canadian contingent (hoping there is one!) has a GPS with a map update sometime this century...just saying. Don't want too many lost in the hills... ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 19:39:40 »
Your post, Mike, reminds me of me when I retired to Quebec fifteen years ago.  I had a tendency to buy stuff in the U.S. before moving, just in case I couldn't buy stuff in Quebec.  After all, we only need so many pairs of long johns, red and black checked wool shirts and leather hats with lower-able ear flaps. ;) ;)

I actually followed my orthodontist's advice and had dental work done there before moving here, because according to him, dentists here were behind the times technologically.  Coming to Quebec taught me a lot.  Actually my dentist here, a young mother of three, is the best I've ever had, anywhere, Europe or U.S.  And her dental technology was already beyond what I experienced before moving here.  The same goes for shopping.  Across the river in front of my house are three shopping centers, end-to-end with a total of 485 stores and restaurants.  Not quite third-world.  Quebec City was founded in 1608 by Jacques Cartier, so they've had a few years to get up to date.

I saw your little yellow wink emoticon, so I know you were teasing.  I'm not likely to get lost, since my Pagoda will be equipped with a voice controlled GPS that is up to date and has hands free blue tooth hookup to my cell phone.  I do, however, expect to lose my cellular connection once I get across the border into the boonies of upper New York. ;)  I might even have to carry a jerry can to avoid running out of gas.  ;)

Of course, Rolf-Dieter, pj and Benz Dr. can always stock up in Toronto with enough supplies to get them through the badlands of the Northeast U.S.

I can't wait.  It's going to be so much fun.

Tom Kizer

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 04:08:37 »
Hi Tom K.

Nice to see you have plans to come this year. I am not 100% sure as of this point in time if I can make it. I am planning to join a Euro group this year for the Mosel River Tour (you may have seen photos of past events). Once the date for it has been announced I shall plan 4 weeks vacation around that date in Germany to catch up with family members and to perhaps also take in one of the River Cruses from Amsterdam, Netherlands to Budapest, Hungary. Another item this year is to sell the house, our second downsizing step.

I think Mike made this reference to me since I made an unexpected turn off the interstate (using an old GPS) going to Williamsburg in 2013 and putting the Dan the Benz Dr and Fred in harms way (center lane then taking the exit 1/2 mile ahead). Following this unplanned manuver I got us lost then Dan got us last and I had to take over again LOL. Mind you we had fun seeing the country side :)

If I do go I would properly join Mike Salemi, you see his car and mine are only 3 VIN numbers apart. They must have rolled off the Assembly line on the same day then went there different ways to North America and who knows all over this part of the world. Mike and I meet during a car show in the US in 2013 and our cars meet again last year at PUB (see photo I took at PUB 2015). Small world is it not. Mike and I are planning to write a small article for PW when we get to it.

Drive safely if all works out date wise I'll see you at PUB Virginia 2017

PS. I lived in Montreal, Quebec for 21 years and visited Quebec City many a times. Some day I'll tell you how I ended up in Quebec then you can tell me how you ended up in Quebec ~grin~

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 15:46:51 »
...using an old GPS...putting the Dan the Benz Dr and Fred in harms way...I got us lost then Dan got us lost...

Tom K: yeah, what he said! Just hoping a modern era GPS will be in order for our friends...

And, oh by the way Tom, stick to the interstates in the wilds of upstate NY and you'll have near continuous cell service. I87 south.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 14:56:17 »
I travel to FLA from Mass and the route that Tomnistuff posted in the beginning is the best way for eastern canadians.
I87 from Montreal to Albany, take the NY THruway west 2 exits  to the Binghamton exit Route I88, then take I88  to Binghamton and get on I81 and head south. Then you pass Penn, MD,West VA, then VA.
Take Exit 221 on I81 then east on 64 to Waynesboro, that is where most prople will stay, it is closer to Tom's place, if not continue east to charlottesville.
Hope this helps.
Tom
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
  • 280SL Mfg date AUG 1969
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 19:52:05 »
Anyone from Massachusetts planning on going? I am planning to drive my 280SL this time and would be interested in joining a MA caravan if there are other planning the trip too.

Weston, MA

Roland
RB

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 13:19:45 »
Roland:
I will be leaving Thursday at 5 AM from Lunenburg. It is about 30 minutes north of Worcester.
It is an 8 to 10 hour drive for me. I take Mass tpke to 84 to Scranton to 81 to 64 . That is the way to go to avoid NYC, also no tolls.
I make this trip 2 or 3 times a year going to Florida.
Tom
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

rbouch8828

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Framingham
  • 280SL Mfg date AUG 1969
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 16:36:44 »
Hi Tom,

I have talked it over with my wife and I think we will do the trip in two days, making a stop at her sister's in NJ on the way down.

Thanks for getting back to me. That is quite a long haul for one day.

Best,
Roland
RB

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:46 »
Hi All,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Member I was travelling with from Chicago to PUB is no longer able to attend as he has been relocated to California. 

As a result, I am looking for a lift from Chicago to Virginia and back. Am currently booked in the Sleep Inn & Suites, Monticello from the Friday till the Monday but can amend that if necessary. What I cannot change with out major cost is the fact I am flying into Chicago on the evening of  Wednesday 13 Sep and flying out again on Tuesday 19th Sep in the evening so any times anyone is going between those two fixed dates is fine.

Thanks
Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 21:57:57 »
Bumped  I am not getting desperate......yet...but

Hi All,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Member I was travelling with from Chicago to PUB is no longer able to attend as he has been relocated to California. 

As a result, I am looking for a lift from Chicago to Virginia and back. Am currently booked in the Sleep Inn & Suites, Monticello from the Friday till the Monday but can amend that if necessary. What I cannot change with out major cost is the fact I am flying into Chicago on the evening of  Wednesday 13 Sep and flying out again on Tuesday 19th Sep in the evening so any times anyone is going between those two fixed dates is fine.

Thanks
Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 15:06:27 »
Garry let me see what we can do.  I am traveling with a couple others.  Ari is following with the 2 kids in the suv with spare parts.  Let me see what we can arrange.  Bob.  My # 630-903-9877
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 16:57:16 »
Garry you are all set I will PM you, looking forward to it.  Bob
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 20:56:34 »
Garry you are all set I will PM you, looking forward to it.  Bob

This is what I'm talking about "It's not only about cars it's all about People" :)

No more worries Garry, we see you at PUB enjoy the rest of your "Up North Ausi Adventure"

Thanks Bob!

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 14:52:05 »
Being in Columbus, and we know all roads go through Columbus, lets start talking about a Caravan from the North, and down US77 through the Mountains of West Virginny.

Mike Mizesko
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 22:56:48 »
Thanks Bob and others for your offer and assistance, Qantas finally relented and allowed me to amend my Frequent Flyer ticket at no cost so now going to Washington DC, via DallasTX, and take a very leisurely two day drive in from there.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Bhollins

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 14:15:50 »
I will be traveling from Asheville, NC on either Thursday, 9/14, or Friday 9/15. Anyone interested in meeting up?

Bill Hollins
1968 280SL