Author Topic: Stuck Air Control Lever  (Read 3598 times)

n/a

Stuck Air Control Lever
« on: November 22, 2004, 14:48:28 »
Hey gang, my upper right heater lever (controls direction of air up or down to foot section) is stuck and has little to no movement.  Any suggestions for freeing this particular lever?  The others move and operate perfectly.  Thanks!

George Davis

Re: Stuck Air Control Lever
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 15:50:34 »
James,

the flap that controls air up and down has a couple of pieces of felt on it to seal where it slides against the housing.  The felt can fray and bunch up at one end and make the flap stick.  That's what mine did.

The flap is in the black housing directly above the trans tunnel.  The floor heat openings point forward, and you can see/touch the flap through the openings.  It may be possible to move it manually past the sticking point, but don't use too much force.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 20:03:34 »
George,I could feel and see the flaps, and tried moving them while wiggling the lever but no luck! Is there a way to access them by removing the housing that encloses them? Any additional thoughts/suggestions?  Thank you!

George Davis

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 09:20:13 »
James,

yes, easy access once the housing is out, but getting the housing out is a lot of work.  If you search the Technical info section of the site you may find complete directions, but in short, I think it involves removal of the glovebox, radio, disconnecting the defroster ducts (which is a real chore on the driver's side) and disconnecting the control cable from the heater control assembly.  Maybe the tach and speedo, too, but I'm not certain, it's been a couple of years.  You can probably do it in a weekend if that's all you do.

At that point you've got the dash mostly gutted, so if the dash wood needs resto, now's the time, as well correcting anything else that needs work under there (heater control bulbs, seals, blower, drain hoses, etc.).  Allow a few weekends if you go this route, and the car won't really be drivable.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 11:30:08 »
Thanks George, I think I will wait on this until I do the major work that I was planning with the car.  Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!

George Davis

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 11:42:33 »
You're welcome!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual