Author Topic: Fog light!  (Read 3987 times)

cstinchi

Fog light!
« on: December 07, 2016, 00:10:06 »
HI All,
I'm finishing the interior on my 1966 230sl and I'm experiencing a problem with the foglight below my headlight.
 I tested on the light switch and there is power there. Also I tested the fuse case and there is power when I pull the know and turn right. From the diagram the wires go straight from the fog light to the fuse box.
My question is, is there any relay on the way that could be bad? Light bulb is also ok.
If somebody has any input I appreciate.
Best regards,
Caio from Miami
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:00:51 by cstinchi »

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Fog light!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 16:35:55 »
There is no relay in a stock set-up.

Use the search function (the main one)
I found this thread with a quick search on "light relay"

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=20505.msg145666#msg145666
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 22:21:43 »
As Jonny stated, No relay but there usually is a secondary fuse and small fusebox mounted on the brake booster bracket. Idea being if there is a fault in the fog lamp circuit, that smaller fuse will blow first and not take out the rest of the lighting.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

cstinchi

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55:00 »
Thank you Johny and Tyler for the reply! I checked the little fuse attached to the brake booster bracket and they are ok. Not sure though if the wire connected belonged to the Fog Light! Fog light is a grey/green wire.
The Emergency light is not working either. I hope it is not the switch.
Best regards,
Caio

guyke

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Hasselt
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:46:26 »
if jou have an instrument that can measure +12 volts , just measure behind the switch and see if jou get 12 volt tru the switch , if jes go a step further , the fuse box , do there the same if jou have +12 volt there go further to the light , if there is no current going to the light , jou need to look between the light and the fuse box if the cable is not broken , sometimes those lights take there minus from the chassis , look if that connection is stil good , there can be no rust on that connection or untherneed , if jes , clean it , sand it , and remount it whit copper grease on it

cstinchi

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 14:06:33 »
Hi Guys,
Thank you for you answer. Yes I've tested everything and it looks good. The problem is from the fuse box to the headlight. I do not know if I want to open the whole wiring harness to find where the problem is. I thought in the beginning that it could have an extra fuse in the middle of the way but it does not. The funny thing is that the emergency light also does not work and stop working at the same time. :( :(