Author Topic: Accelerator pedal  (Read 3776 times)

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
Accelerator pedal
« on: October 11, 2016, 08:04:53 »
I would welcome some advice. Could you guys give me an idea of how heavy
Your accelerator pedals are. I.e. how hard do you need to press. Mine seems quite stiff
And you have to apply quite a lot of pressure. It is not difficult to drive, only it is much
More than just resting your foot on the pedal. Can this be adjusted in some way to make the pedal a little lighter ?
Or is this just normal?

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Re: Accelerator pedal
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 15:02:48 »
Here is my "Goldilocks" experience - the Pagoda accelerator on the Pagodas I have driven all feel about the same.  They are clearly not too hard but clearly not too soft, they feel quite comfortable to me.  If a modern car feels about a 5 (from 1 soft to 10 hard) the pagoda feels about a 6 to me.   Others hopefully can advise their experience and technical notes on adjustments.   

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 15:39:37 »
Hi,
the acceleration pedal is not as soft as of modern cars and you feel it in your legs if you drive a whole day long. Btw that was the reason  why I've installed a cruise control for long distances.
There are a lot of deviation points in the acceleration linkage that have to be greased. Just start  behind the pedal and move forward to check each linkage point.
...WRe

alpina

• Vendor
  • Silver
  • Spain, Asturias, Villaviciosa
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 16:47:05 »
Lubricating the linkage rod / pivot below the intake maifold seems to have done the trick.
Ball and socket was quite dry and stiff.  All of the other ball and sockets were all  well lubicated. Just this
Difficult to reach one must have been missed in the past.
All seems much smoother now.

watson2

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Lombardy, Vigevano
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 14:31:19 »
Hi guys. I agree with Kampala, but  the more critical thing , for me, is that the pedal is rough, not progressive.
So when I release the pedal , the next press will produce a click,  even if made with attention.
I tried to lubricate everything in the linkage, even with different springs, but nothing changed.
Probably  this little problem comes from an high number of jonts and from short and disadvantageous levers in some point of the linkage and on the Venturi air intake.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 15:34:19 »
Flavio, that click or binding when initially pressing the acc is indicative of an out of adjustment throttle plate or a dirty/carboned throttle plate. Pull the intake boot and have a look. Clean if necessary then follow the procedure for adjustment in the linkage tour.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

watson2

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Lombardy, Vigevano
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 23:35:11 »
Thank you Tyler. Everything should be clean , but we will check anyway the whole environment again.
And about the linkage tour , everything ( 233mm rod , matching holes, levers' angles etc) has been done with that in our mind. It was a great guide.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 14:40:26 »
Flavio, disconnect the rod going to the throttle plate/butterfly and move the lever by hand. Let it snap shut and then open it again slowly. Make sure there is no binding. 

You may also want to check where the accelerator pedal rod indexes to the back of the pedal. There may be a wear notch in that area causing binding as well.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)