Author Topic: Purchasing Correct Chrome Locking Gas Cap and Matching Keys  (Read 6213 times)

w113abudhabi

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Wigston
  • 1970 280SL Papyrus White / Red
Dear all

I am close to biting the bullet and resolving an area of frustration with my 1970 280SL. The car has what appears to be a sedan gas cap with a key that is not matched to the rest of the car. Ideally I wish to replace this with a chrome gas cap, preferably with the Mercedes star logo and match the lock to the rest of the car.

I am aware that this is challenging because the Mercedes stock of the previous chrome gas caps depleted and the new replacements cannot have there locks matched. I am considering purchasing the below product but have some questions.

http://www.authenticclassics.com/Chrome-Locking-Gas-Cap-late-type-p/auth-002476.htm

The above product states that it is for vehicles which were equipped with a Vented Gas tank, while the Technical Manual states "The proper cap for W113 cars is Unvented". Another section of the Technical Manual states: "For 1970/71 MB used a setup that prevents fuel evaporative emissions. The compensating tank has a valve system built in that allows outside air to be sucked in when a vacuum exists in the gas tank; if the gas tank is under pressure, however, the excess pressure is vented into the crankcase, where the gases get burned off. So if you wanted to maintain that fuel evaporative emission control system, you wouldn't opt for the "mit Lueftung" gas cap".

Questions:

1. Is the above product appropriate for my 1970 280SL?
2. Is it likely that I will be able to match the lock in the above product to work with my cars existing door keys?
3. Any suggestions who might be able to help with matching the lock if this is indeed possible.

Many thanks

Pierre

ghenne

• Senior
  • Canada, ON, Toronto
Re: Purchasing Correct Chrome Locking Gas Cap and Matching Keys
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 12:59:12 »
Check with the Mercedes Classic Center. I think they just put the back into production.

w113abudhabi

• Inactive
  • Senior
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 16:16:00 »
Thanks Ghenne.

I already contacted the classic center which is why i wrote "the new replacements cannot have there locks matched".

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 16:45:39 »
On the locks matching, I would take the new gas cap to a good lock smith (or two) together with the key you would like to have it matched to, and see what they say. In The Netherlands there is a locksmith who specializes in oldtimer car locks, perhaps you can find a similar craftsman nearer to you. On the cap, I do think it should be unvented for your car, but I am not sure about that.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 20:47:10 »
Pierre,

Here's how I understand the gas caps & tanks.

1. Both early & later 280sl use non-vented gas caps, even though they may have different expansion tanks.  Yes some people drill a hole to make a vent, but this is usually if they have an issue with vacuum build-up due to expansion tank or vent line blockage. 

2. The later cars (70/71) had the ONE KEY system.  Same key for door, fuel & ignition.     The earlier cars had separate keys.

3. There are TWO kinds of Mercedes gas caps that came with these cars. The "One Key"  cars came with a cap that had a Key-Path that fit the ignition key.  This cap has a key-slot that is centered.   The cars that were not the one-key system, came with a cap that accepted a different key, not the ignition key, and the key slot is off to one side, as in the link you posted.   

4. You can use either cap on any pagoda, but I don't think you can convert a non-ignition type key slot to accept the ignition key (if your car is a one-key car).  You would just have a separate key for the fuel cap.

The classic center, from what I recall, has the same version as you posted, and maybe for less cost.  Two or three years ago I know they also had the One-Key cap available at about $450 US$.   I think the new production is only for the multiple key type but am not 100% sure about this. 

This link shows the one-key cap (no longer avail at Auth CL), you will see the slot is in the center vs the one you posted. 

http://www.authenticclassics.com/Late-280SL-Chrome-Gas-Cap-Plastic-Key-Head-p/auth-002470.htm

Hope this long explanation help,

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 19:59:37 »
I lost my original 1-key chrome fuel cap last year, it fell off the car. After plenty of research I came to the same conclusion, the new chrome caps can't be matched to the original key. I eventually purchased this one (non vented) , it fits well on my '71 280SL:

http://www.mbclassics.de/index.php?a=3990&lang=eng

Best,
Mike
Feb. 1971 Mercedes 280SL Auto  LHD (Last of W113 Series)
Aug. 1989 Mercedes R107 300SL RHD (Last of R107 Series)
http://michali.zenfolio.com
http://www.lebombo-safaris.com

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Purchasing the A000 471 20 30 without Matching Keys
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 02:12:30 »
Fully agree to what Oz (Kampala) and Mike K mentioned.

Fuggedaboudit. New gas caps (A000 471 2030) can only be obtained for the three-key-system.
Re-keying these caps towards the late "one-key" system is not possible.  :P

The later one-key-fits-all gas cap (A000 471 4730) has been NLA for long.  :P

Get one (A000 471 2030) from MB while supply lasts. They are sometimes NLA for a (short) while - until a new supply arrives.
There's a high demand on (new) 113's gas caps, that's why they won't run out for long.

In the meantime there are reproductions around - withouth the three-pointed star though ...

Achim
(gascapcollector)
Achim
(Germany)

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 02:34:39 »
Can the one key cap be disassembled to allow a locksmith to re-key it to match the other locks? I have a new cap and would like to have it re-keyed if possible.

Jack
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:47:53 by Jack Jones »
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

w113abudhabi

• Inactive
  • Senior
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 05:16:31 »
Thank you for all the very helpful responses to my original post. It appears that I will have to compromise as purchasing what I really want is not an option.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to match the lock in any of the reproductions so that I can achieve the one key car situation? It should be noted that my current  gas cap is neither chrome or original to the car so I don't have the correct lock barrel. I would need the lock in the new cap to be matched to my ignition / door key.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 08:10:39 »
Hi, Pierre,

There is a chance that you can achieve what you want.

You have to look for a NOS 70/71 lock set Part # 113 893 0403

It will have new door handles, glove box lock, trunk lock, locking fuel cap and ignition barrel all matched to one key.

They were available way back when but NLA new.

There was a more recent lock set but did not have all these items.

naj
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:04:09 by Naj »
68 280SL

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 10:14:23 »
Some 10 years ago, I purchased the whole set (ignition barrel, door locks, glove box, trunk and gas cap ) with one key from SLS for my 71 280SL.
I see it's still listed on their website but unfortunately NLA by now :-\
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 20:15:14 »
Complete lock sets are being reproduced for all years
113 893 00 01 $1320 MSRP
113 893 00 03 $1690 MSRP
113 893 02 03 ?
113 893 04 03 ?

They are all priced in Europe but only the first two are priced in US.
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed