Author Topic: 280 Centre Armrest?  (Read 5480 times)

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, London
280 Centre Armrest?
« on: September 04, 2016, 06:15:56 »
Hi Guys.
I can appreciate the issue of authenticity when it comes to owning a classic car - such as the SL 113, but when its an item you wish to have for everyday use then I feel the question of utility and function ought to be addressed.  For starters; who needs an ashtray in a car these days? The object may be well designed. The chrome cute, but really??
This brings me to my main point which is the centre wooden rectangular box between the Pagoda seats! Why not an arm rest? Most Mercedes I've driven have an armrest between the seats! Some even have them on their rear seats! And you know what - their not there for aesthetic reasons! Their functional pieces of car furniture, fit for purpose. 
I've attached a few examples but would appreciate any feedback you have on this issue or indeed where to get an armrest??
Look forward to your thoughts.
John.    :-\
JOH

hauser

Re: 280 Centre Armrest?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 06:55:20 »
I have a custom armrest going in my car.  I first made it from cardboard and once the dimensions were figured out I had  a  local cabinet maker make it out of plywood. 

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 07:04:06 »
Hi John,
you are right, I have the same opinion.
I have Installer a W114/115/116 centre armrest in my Pagoda. It was easy because seats are - more or less- prepared to do it. Armrest is mounted with 2 srews (centre pivot spindle and one to fix against rotation) to the passenger seat, armrest a little bit to broad therefore it has to flaten the foam on one side and the mount has to adapt a little bit (cosmetic).
...WRe
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:41:22 by WRe »

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:34:50 »
Beautiful. Just spotted it now. Any issues with tying/securing the base?
Cheers.
JOH.
JOH

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 13:01:39 »
@WRe

I see that the cover for your ashtray is missing?
I have the same problem because the spring which holds it in place broke. Does anybody here know of a source for that?
Thanks, Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 18:38:36 »
Hi!

Armrest:
Attached the MB installation guidelines for the center armrest and my measures. It has to be trimmed a little bit on one side, so the center shaft.

Ashtray:
It seems to be a common problem that the covers and springs are lost. Instead of a dumb hole I just pushed a "piece of a wooden lath" in/onto it. See my rough (the cover is not very symmetric) measures attached.

...WRe

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 13:00:24 »
Many thanks.
JOH.
JOH

PIP1947

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • Australia, New South Wales, Darling Point
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 13:25:59 »
Hi Joh & others
I agree with your conclusions about the desirability of a centre armrest and. In particular, I think the decorative box between the seats in the Pagoda is pretty useless. My solution, yet to be implemented, is to fit a centre armrest from a 108 sedan. I am using an armrest from a 1965 250S. The vinyl is the wrong colour, but the right pattern, so I will dye it to suit my dark brown interior. My plan is to attach the new armrest to a block of wood which fits snugly in the wooden tray, so that it can be removed at will. As a genuine MB item from that era, I think it will look just right.  I'll post photos when I get around to finishing the job. Regards
Pip 1947
Sydney
1969 280SL Tunis Beige Metallic, dark brown interior

ohoraherecaptain

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 12:04:34 »
Fantastic!
Cheers.
JOH. :)