Author Topic: MB Tex Vinyl or Leather  (Read 7341 times)

67w113

MB Tex Vinyl or Leather
« on: January 28, 2016, 23:43:50 »
Seats are way over due, Color will be black, seeing replacement for my 250SL ranging from $500 for MB Tex- Vinyl or around $800 for genuine leather.  Any thoughts if it is worth the extra few bills for Leather?  Horse hair is most likely in need of redo will replace with rubber pads as the astronomical price for OEM horsehair (if they are still available) just does not seem worth it...thoughts?

Thanks in advance for comments/suggestions

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: MB Tex Vinyl or Leather
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 14:37:59 »
Just a personal observation... when many people see a leather interior in the old cars they go "oooh leather" but when the same people see mb tex they don't go "oooh MB Tex".   MB Tex isn't the plastic junk you find in your typical MGB - it is very good stuff but to the uneducated they think its just naugahyde with a fancy name - but it is so much more.

From what I have seen, MB Tex is much hardier than leather but is not leather.   You get a different patina from MB Tex and a different smell but I know a couple guys who replaced their interiors and they replaced it with MB Tex for real world use.   If you ever got birdshit on a leather seat you know what I'm talking about.

My car has leather that is fully patina'd (no holes yet) and if I ever replace the seats it will probably be leather only because that is what is on the data card.

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 15:57:34 »
I had MB Tex originally and yes it lasted over twenty five years but when I refurbished my interior I converted to leather and what a better look feel and smell. A much better "feel" when inside driving. A must to replace the horsehair pads while your replacing the cover. Also check the springs for no broken ones. Just do it all while you are having them done.
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 16:18:16 »
Either way just keep in mind that when doing leather, unless you do the rest of the interior (door panels, quarter panels, etc) the seats wont match. I opted to replace just my leather seats with new leather. The black color is not as intense as the original. The patina door panels next to the new seats just looks off.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 19:21:59 »
Be aware that the new leather isn't nearly as good as the old Roser leather. Not as thick and feels cheaper to the touch. Also, it doesn't have the same unmistakable scent.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 19:27:30 »
Be aware that the new leather isn't nearly as good as the old Roser leather

That depends on the supplier!

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 19:53:59 »
Quote from: Douglas
Be aware that the new leather.../... is not as thick.../...
Really? My impression is, that the [American] leather supplied today by various vendors is really thick, nice product from prairie (or Pampas) cattle.
However, this causes problems when sewing/fitting it into our M-Bs of the sixties today, results in a swollen look (disappointing).
Also, the leather many times has a matte surface, much different from what was original. This may be due to the leather preparation methods and chemicals available today.

However, the comment from Stick is valid. Perhaps useful to request samples from some different suppliers before ordering.

One other comment; discussed previously, the leather has to be skivvied (thinned down) in order to fit nicely.
/Hans in Sweden

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 22:51:17 by mbzse »
/Hans S

DickLewis

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 21:57:02 »
As I write this my local installer is using leather from World Upholstery and he loves their product.  It is outstanding and he has done many Pagodas.  I love the feel and the smell.  I had MB Tex when I got the car but in the restoration I chose to go leather for the entire interior.  MB Tex will last forever but in my humble opinion there is nothing quite like leather.

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 00:07:12 »
How does new leather seats look with new original tex door panels? I have a pair of new original Mercedes door trim panels (in storage since 1971) in cognac tex but would like to replace my seats with cognac leather.   
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/peterperry911113/1970280SECoupe#
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 12:50:58 »
Here is my take on this.

I am lucky that my car still has the original MB Tex still in tact. It was faded and discolored yet I was able to redye it. The stuff is nearly indestructible.

Keeping the original MB tex allows me to use the including letting our Boston Terrier Daisy ride along with us when we go for our family strolls. If I had new leather in the car she would not be allowed.

I like the idea of putting leather in the car and if you do so it is a all or none deal meaning you do the doors and dash panels as well. They don't look right if you mix and match. No matter who you by from make certain that you get an exact sample of what your buying in advance. All suppliers are at the mercy of what they can buy meaning sometimes the raw material might change depending on what they can get.

As far as replacing using vinyl that is what's original to the car. It allows you to use the car more freely without the worry of damaging expensive leather. But there is no question leather is just plain nicer and these cars are more deserving of that.
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn
1965 230SL Light Ivory automatic
1966 230SL Havana Brown 4 speed Barn Find
1970 280SE living 3.5 donor car

DickLewis

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 23:00:36 »
When I chose leather it is the whole thing so there is no question of matching.  It is wonderful.

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 21:39:43 »
I renewed my interior about 12 years ago. I had the seats completely rebuilt and switched from tex to leather and headrests added. I had the door's retrimmed in leather too so they match great. Really happy with how these have lasted - still look great. i decided not to touch the original Tex dash trim which is still in great condition because when I see these retrimmed in leather they always look 'overstuffed' and not as finely detailed as the original. Just my opinion.
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 01:44:13 »
It is funny that the 107 chassis cars only have leather on the seats and everything else is vinyl.
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 17:35:18 »
If your leather seats color is fading, most likely that the dash, door panels and all the moldings color is fading too. The best way is to dye them all with alcohol based dye. It is a lengthy job because you have to take everything out of the car. Use the same recipe for all so the color will match. This is what I have done on my 230SL and it is much cheaper to restore the insides.

perry113

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, NY, Rensselaer
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/peterperry911113/1970280SECoupe#
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 22:37:49 »
I used a product made by SEM to redye the interior. It was applied using a paint gun in a spray booth. I had all of the pieces removed from the car and split the seat bottoms from the tops.
As far as my 66 230SL barn find project goes I plan on doing the same thing. I love the originality and durability.
It's been 22000 miles in 12 years of driving since I dyed them and they are holding up beautifully.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 22:58:11 by perry113 »
Peter Perry
1970 911T Bahia Red
1972 911T Albert Blau
1963 220seb coupe barn
1965 230SL Light Ivory automatic
1966 230SL Havana Brown 4 speed Barn Find
1970 280SE living 3.5 donor car