Author Topic: New VW T6 Transporter  (Read 12156 times)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
New VW T6 Transporter
« on: December 31, 2015, 05:32:17 »
Despite all the shenanigans by VW with their solution controls, I mean pollution controls, I think they still make a great vehicle and their 2 litre diesel is one of the best on the market.  

With such confidence in it, I have just ordered a new MY16 VW T6 Transporter L.W.B 132KW 7SPD DSG which is the carry van model, in twin turbo with 4 Motion 4Wheel drive and beefed up and raised suspension and diff lock and a lot of other extras such as front swivelling captains seats, leather and heated of course :o It is a special order with delivery quoted at this point of up to six months.

Once I get it I am then fitting a pop top roof and with twin sliding doors, am removing one door and fitting a slide out unit in it to take a small kitchen setup, fitting a rock and roll bed in it together with water storage and hot water system and shower and toilet. Some of the changes have not been done before so I have to get it re-engineered to be Australian compliant for the alterations, a complicated, expensive and long drawn out process which I will be lucky to have finished mid to late 2016. Wish I could start with the Euro ‘Californian’ model that has a lot of the things already but VW will not sell one to me here in Oz.

The end result will be a small modern 4WD VW camper, the equivalent of the original 1960’s VW Kombi Camper that I will then use for travelling around Australia and other destinations in the following years.

Hope it all works out otherwise its going be a very expensive exercise!!!!!!
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: New VW T6 Transporter
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:10:52 »
What's wrong with this one: http://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge.de/de/modelle/california.html

Build quality is excellent, I'm ogling one of them to replace the 12 year old Touareg Diesel in a year's time...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 20:26:39 »
Peter,

VW will not allow them to be sold in Australia, I even asked if I could order it here to Aust design rules for pick up in Europe and they would not do it so I have had to build one up from the basic van.  The slide out kitchen fitted in to the original door shell is something not done before and they have advised will void my warranty even though I can and have to get it certified compliant here. 

The Californian Van is a great piece of kit.  By the time I get to catch up with you in September, I will hopefully be almost finished building it.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 15:48:15 »
...their 2 litre diesel is one of the best on the market...

What metrics are you using? Since they basically cheated nearly all the government rules everywhere, and deceived all their customers in the process by simply knowingly and consciously lying about the emissions of this ersatz clean diesel, they are NOT on the same playing field as their competition, such as those using DEF/Urea injection...which is, like, everyone else!

So, to make a statement like that you have to bring the VW 2L into compliance, or back off all the competition's emissions such that the comparisons are more realistic.

There are a lot of diesel junkies (though a tiny percentage) in the USA that don't want anyone fiddling with their 2L VW diesel...but these engines are not the same as others due to these shenanigans.
BTW, VW was sued on Monday...http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35227435
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 16:44:42 »
Garry, That would be one sweet ride. I have an 89 T3 Westfalia full camper and love everything about it except the lack of power. Planing a Subaru or VW 2.0t engine swap in the future. Anyway, Dont let them tell you it will void your warranty. The panel vans are designed to be outfitted with shelving for tradesman, racks for news crews etc. etc. The only thing they wont warranty is damage or issues resulting from the stuff you installed. Like a sagging door because of the added weight of the shelving. You will still have a powertrain warranty which is prob the most important. If it was a salesman who told you this, get in good with a VW service department and find out exactly what they will or will not warranty with the modifications.
I would think a plane ticket to the US or Europe with a fist full of cash would get you one ordered. May be cheaper in the long run. Then find an exporter that will work with you to get it cargo containered home.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 23:55:17 »
I have several T2 VW Kombi’s, a Bay and a Splitty both Single Cabs.  One going, one in full restoration at the moment and sold my ‘74 T2 Camper last year and why I am doing a new one, this time 4x4 for around Australia travel,  I looked at the possibility of importing one of the Californians from overseas but worked out it was cheaper doing one from scratch due to import duties and a GST (sales tax) that it would then attract on entry. The difference was substantial, around the $30k mark.

In the warranty side they (VW) were concerned that I was cutting the roof off for fitting a pop top and then stripping the drivers side sliding door to fit a 90 degree slide out unit on to the remaining door shell.  I agree I could probably push for the drivetrain warranty remaining.

Will post some photos when all finished but it will be months yet.
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:36:05 »
Garry,

I'm sure you know this site ? https://www.reimo.com/en/

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 11:28:28 »
Thanks Peter,

I have a VW restorer who has a container load of gear coming out to Aust in the next month or so from UK.  Included is one of the Reimo lifting roof kits and also a R & R bed/seat from them that they are sending to UK to be consolidated into the container for me.  :-))  All I have to do is then fit it all up when VW finally deliver the special optioned Transporter!!!!!

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 22:55:17 »
I wonder what the procedure is for temporarily importing such a car into Aus?
EG: I commissioned the car that you want here in Europe and decide I want to take it to Aus for a year driving around.

Not that I like avoiding rules or anything............... ;D

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:04:13 »
Colin,

I actually looked at possible doing that in reverse, e.g ordering the car here for delivery in Europe and then bringing it home.  VW would not agree as they said they were not willing to get a Californian to Aust Design Rules (ADR).

Then I looked at buying and getting a car here and shipping it to UK as Danbury’s in UK do a fantastic conversion on them with a slide out the back of it.  My past military allows me to get a vehicle GST free here so saves about $7000, the cost of shipping to UK and back. However that did not work out well as danbury were not too keen on the idea. Something about only meeting Euro rules again and not Aust ADR’s.

Bottom line is that whilst you can bring a car here and use for 12 months. if you then don’t take it out of the country you get hit with the import duty, 5%+ and then with GST 10% and that is if they agree.  Sometimes they just impound the vehicle and destroy it.  They are pretty viscous on illegal car imports and there are often auctions of confiscated cars here that the Government keeps the money.

As an aside, what I did look at was shipping my Pagoda to USA, west coast driving it to PUB then on to NY. Then taking it on to UK for the following years Euro Tour then shipping it home after that.  The cost was around $8k all up and almost tempting but the car would be going around the world for over a year and with the values now so high, it was a risk that somewhere it would get nicked. I would also need a place to store it in US or UK. It would not attract any taxes so long as it did not stay in USA or UK longer than 12 months.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 12:12:30 »
I'd have looked after it for you Garry. Kept the fluids fluid and that sort of thing ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 20:53:23 »
I still have not given up on the idea of the Pagoda around the world for a year yet :o :o :o ;)   Minister of Finance thinks I am mad.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 22:53:09 »
Hey Gary,
".....Then I looked at buying and getting a car here and shipping it to UK as Danbury’s in UK do a fantastic conversion on them with a slide out the back of it.  My past military allows me to get a vehicle GST free here so saves about $7000, the cost of shipping to UK and back. However that did not work out well as danbury were not too keen on the idea. Something about only meeting Euro rules again and not Aust ADR’s....."  Can you do a Pauling Hanson on that please, or is it only for ex RAAFy Chappies

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)