Author Topic: For those that miss Jeremy Clarkson....  (Read 13016 times)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
For those that miss Jeremy Clarkson....
« on: November 30, 2015, 18:26:42 »
 Works for Amazon these days advertising their Drone delivery system.

https://youtu.be/MXo_d6tNWuY
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: For those that miss Jeremy Clarkson....
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 22:01:54 »
Yet another reason to dislike Amazon.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 23:08:02 »
Ironic that he advises us to "...behave like a rational human being", given that it was his irrational and violent behavior that got him sacked from a multi-million Pound a year gig.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 23:30:43 »
I think it's interesting that the more I read about Jeremy Clarkson the more I dislike him.  I certainly enjoyed him on Top Gear, but learning more about what sort of person he is in his interactions in the real world, I think that he has become unenjoyable.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Montreal V8

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 19:15:50 »
  Just a minor point - he wasn't "sacked",  his Contract wasn't renewed.  (Semantics?)   I enjoyed him also, but he seemed to feel he was indispensable, and a number of his comments were indeed offensive, in my opinion.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 20:15:04 »
Not semantics at all.  He was suspended immediately, not allowed to finish the program he was working on, and the highest levels of the BBC made it known to him that his violations of company policy were grounds for termination.  I think that qualifies as sacked.  Even though he is an incredibly talented writer and presenter, his actions were insufferable enough to cause the BBC to cancel millions of Pounds in broadcast rights contracts and lay off dozens of support personnel.  Whether or not that coincided with a contract renewal is moot.

I hope he learned a bit of humility and is a more rational human being as audiences gradually give him another chance. 
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Montreal V8

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 02:17:05 »
Hi Ray. I know all the news reports stated he was "fired" (sacked)  but the first sentence of the official statement by BBC Director General, Tony Hall, reads  " It is with great regret that I have  told Jeremy Clarkson today that the the BBC will not be renewing his contract". The full statement goes on to give various aspects of the situation, but the word fired is diplomatically absent. That's why I used "semantics" - question mark,  I wasn't trying to be smart about it.  Cheers, Dale.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: For those that miss Jeremy Clarkson....He's BAAACK!!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 19:25:59 »
Yes, there was the whole debacle on Jeremy Clarkson getting fired and all that. There were opinions right left up and down on this, from this group here. What most sort of agreed upon is that, before "the incident", Top Gear was television worth consuming.

Well, he's baaack! Or, should I say, they're back, all three of them: Clarkson, May and Hammond along with producer Wilman. Courtesy of Amazon Streaming Video for Prime members (sorry for those of you outside the USA who may not get this) they have produced the new series, The Grand Tour. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Tour_(2016_TV_series)

Having been a Top Gear fan, we watched the first episode and for those that have yet to see it, my guess is the budget for this episode probably exceeded most of the BBC budget...for everything. Aside from no mention of "gears" top or otherwise, and no "Jessica" theme by the Allman Brothers, it has a similar format with the same kind of antics and reviews on perhaps a larger scale with a whopping budget. No Stig, and no "Stars in Cars" yet.

I can see we'll be spending some of Christmas holiday watching more...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 21:03:26 »
Hi Mike,

They soon will be aired in Canada and going Global soon. I don't think the BBC will ever match it, the new Grand Tour will be tops. I cannot wait. I have Top Gear seasons 10 to 21 on DVD.

----> https://www.amazon.co.uk/www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=12022739031&ref=dvm_uk_sl_gen_SLGEM2M_2_14

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Jeremy, Richard and James are back in full swing
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 01:55:19 »
They are back as of today in Canada too :)

Signed up today for my 1 month free trial and saw the first show that aired last month. For 12 months Prime it is slightly below $80.00

The highlight of the first show was three of the finest ...

McLaren P1 at 904 bhp
LaFarrari at 950 bhp
Porsche 918 at 887 bhp

What a show enjoy it when you get there .... :)

Dieter

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Jeremy, Richard and James are back in full swing
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 16:11:57 »
They are back as of today in Canada too :)

Signed up today for my 1 month free trial and saw the first show that aired last month. For 12 months Prime it is slightly below $80.00

We use Amazon Prime all the time, and it's plenty worth it for us, the streaming video is just an added bonus!
So, you saw the first episode.  Care to compare the budget for production of Amazon compared to the BBC??  ;D
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 16:28:12 »
Hi Mike,

I have not seen (nor do I wish to see it) the new BBC version of TOP GEAR, from what I've seen on the first show of Grand Tour I don't think BBC will get anywhere near the US budget. I will make the Amazon Prime part of my entertainment package.

Dieter

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 16:29:05 »
With everything being so PC today, even getting fired has taken on a whole new look and feel. Sorry, but I'm afraid that we are going to have to let you go, we won't be renewing your contract, we won't be asking you to come back, we are over budget and over staffed and we have to reduce costs, please remove your personal items from our desk and accompany security to the front front door! Mr. S., report to the front office at once!!! Don't call us, because we wont be calling you...............
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 15:42:16 »
Well, I've seen nine of the ten installments of "The Grand Tour" now. Clearly it's far more about entertainment, as it were, than it is about cars and testing--having evolved (or devolved?) to more of a comedy show that has a huge budget. It's starting to bear some resemblance to the silliness of Monty Python, just with a big budget and automotive "bent".

Episode nine is hosted out of Stuttgart, where they made a big deal out of not being welcome there, because of one "green" Stuttgart council member, who commented that it's a bicycle friendly city.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/2017/01/06/grand-tour-episode-nine-berks-future-talking-point-review-lights/

Clarkson's quote: "The Germans are the only people on earth who really know how to make a car."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 19:21:54 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid