Author Topic: late W111 seat back lock  (Read 4321 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
late W111 seat back lock
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:59:24 »
For those of you that are curious, here is a picture of the seat back vacuum system. The cables attach to two sliding bars that jam the seat back when vacuum is applied to the diaphragm. When you break the vacuum (open door or stop the engine), the bars slide back with helper springs and release the back.

Be careful sliding your feet under the front seat! 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
Re: late W111 seat back lock
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 16:27:04 »
Wallace,
Great photo. Couple questions:
The foam on each side of the cushion wasn't original was that your idea? Does it work like the pool noodle with our Pagoda's? Worth doing?
Are you going to get the vacuum system working? Did you test the vacuum controllers before putting in seat?
Mine doesn't work but wanted to tackle it this winter.
Also the round chrome cap on the inside of one seat is broken any ideas on where I can find one?
Thanks,
David
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: late W111 seat back lock
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 18:46:41 »
The foam inserts were an idea I got from this site. They are in fact solid foam like from round exercise rolls and cut to shape. Pretty hard. In fact too hard. I was going to remove them but pushed them forward instead. I like them there because it gives great lateral side support at the front corners. Where as before, the corners would dive down too much. It also supports the rear just a bit. In the prior position at the rear as shown, it was so stiff it literally angled you forward.

Yes, the diaphragms work just fine. The mechanism was apart and I cleaned and adjusted it before installing the seats. Diaphragms are available but from a later car and you have to refit them. A PAIN but doable. These are original diaphrams. The whole system is very vunerable from damage underneath. Most people would never assume something this intricate is under there.

Not sure where to buy the chrome part. The classic Center MIGHT have it. Other than that just salvage yards.     
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6