Author Topic: Gear Selector Bushing install help needed  (Read 2797 times)

67w113

Gear Selector Bushing install help needed
« on: September 11, 2015, 19:01:11 »
Hello, been gone for a while but dusting off the SL and getting it back on the road in prep for winter time in the South (too hot to drive currently).  Anyways, I need to install the gear selector bushing to the tranny linkage (the top one access through the inside under the carpet).  Unfourtunately I could not get the replacement one on.  I am on the lower level as far as turning wrenches (novice/hack) but I tried to 15 mins in hot water technique and it did not help.  Any other tricks?  Should this be able to be done with a simple needle nose vise grips or small vise grips?  I see online where you can buy a bushing install tool.  I guess this may be the answer as I have already lost one down the hole.  Any tricks would be appreciated, maybe the answer is the bushing install tool?  What seems like an easy job has me flustered!

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Gear Selector Bushing install help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 23:32:13 »
Helllo
for the automatic, I disconnect the front bushing at the transmission,  remove the carpet, undo the 4 bolts holding the chrome shift assy in and pull the whole thing out.

on the bench, install the rear bushing from the shifter to the liinkage,  install the front bushing, re install the whole assembly then connect the front bushing at the transmission.   

this is much easier than trying to access the rear bushing from underneath.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 23:36:51 »
Hey. Not sure about that tool but I was able to do it with hot water trick -- really hot. Then, if I recall there is one slightly tapered side, be sure to orient to shaft correctly. Also I used a little Joy detergent to lube it some. Then the squeeze is on! I used pliers and worried I would marr the bushing but it popped in place...

I will attest that its tight but doable. It might help to have second set of hands to balance shifter body. Give er another try! And maybe the dropped one will come out the bottom?

James
63 230SL

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:08:30 »
I just replaced on one my car here at PUB after the linkage popped off for the second time in as many days.  I didn't use warm water, but some spray soap and gently worked it in with pliers.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi