Author Topic: drain hose to nowhere, 280SE 3.5 RHD  (Read 4592 times)

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
drain hose to nowhere, 280SE 3.5 RHD
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:02:29 »
Hi,  I am getting panel work done on my new toy, the RHD front mudguard (fender) is off  and as you can see in the attached photo there is drain hose which comes into the area between the body and the fender and ends after an elbow.  i have seen another W108 in this undress state and it has a short piece of straight hose attached to the end of the elbow however again this ends in this space.  

There is a valance or splash guard which stops mud and debris off the front wheel going into this space but when this is in place it would appear the hose has nowhere to drain.  The drain hose appears to start internally in a heater box. You can see by the white splash marks some liquid does come down this pipe and after paying for a substantial panel repair and paint I don't want my moisture in here.

Can someone help on how the pipe should drain to outside the car body plse?
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
Re: drain hose to nowhere, 280SE 3.5 RHD
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:57:51 »
I think this is a similar issue as the drain from the sunroof that ends up in the rear quarter panel. From there it is supposed to drain from the drain holes against the rocker panels. Some modify that set-up and connect the sunroof drain directly into the wheel well.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 16:28:58 »
Is this a W108? If so, that is the cowl air intake drain hose. Should be one on either side and is behind the splash pan.  280SE guy has a great picture of his. There should be a gap on the bottom of the splash shield that allows this to drain out.

The W111s have the unusual bulb cowl drains in the engine bay. W108s have a wider intake and therefore the drains are much further out to the side. I am pretty sure the coupe sunroof drain is on the door hinge post (A pillar).   
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 16:38:02 »
The W111s have the unusual bulb cowl drains in the engine bay. W108s have a wider intake and therefore the drains are much further out to the side. I am pretty sure the coupe sunroof drain is on the door hinge post (A pillar).   

Yes, two in the front and two in the back.

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 06:59:11 »
Hi, thanks for all the replies, I can see what you say about a small chink left between the splash panel and the sill for drainage. Poor design from MB where a 1" ID hose drains through to a piddly hole like that.  Perhaps it was the plumbers day off? 

Referring to a comment from Wallace W as to where the drain pipe originates, I will feed a wire down from the air scoop, with the filter out, and see if this is where it drains from.  In an MB parts catalogue for this model, which I have, it shows drainage from further in. See PDF drawing attached item no  86(or# as American's do), and drain Item No 96.
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto