Author Topic: What to do about the Stereo? Becker Cassette  (Read 12295 times)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
What to do about the Stereo? Becker Cassette
« on: July 19, 2015, 15:58:56 »
The sound on this this is mediocre at best though I have the Mexico cassette and and amp (factory).  I've got two speakers in the kickpanels and two behind the seats but the sound is poor and I'll guess most is the becker.    I replaced all speakers with Blaupunkt back in 2007.   

What's the best solution?   Send to Becker and rebuild and add Ipod / Iphone adapter?    Buy are replacement deck of some sort?  etc. 

Interested to know what some of you have done to improve the sound experience in your 113s.

Thanks.
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: What to do about the Stereo? Becker Cassette
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 16:47:36 »
My best guess is that either you are expecting to much, or more likely, the speakers are not a good choice for this application.  Becker is expecting low wattage 4 ohm speakers and it's difficult to even find appropriate speakers.  If you install a modern speaker rated for 20 - 100 watts it's guaranteed to sound like crap.  Much less if you install 4 of them.  Look at speaker choices from BeckerAutosound or KonigsKlassics for ideas. 

Another choice is one of the guys on ebay is making a plug harness designed to allow a modern amp with the becker head unit.  With that you can plug in whatever high power amp you want.

I have the cable setup but have not yet tried it.  It's not that high on my to-do list.

I have a Mexico in my 280 SE parts car that sounds pretty good with 4 speakers, but all 4 speakers are the correct speakers and probably due for replacement due to age.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

hauser

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 17:04:55 »
Dana check out what Tal has done to address the issue of what can be done to vastly improve the sound.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=17022.msg117429#msg117429

Radio source.

http://www.retrosound.com/product-p/1968-76-1m16-hermosa.htm

Best yet is that everything is reversible.  No dash cutting involved.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 17:36:58 »
Retro Sound makes me barf. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 18:07:09 »
I use this ---> https://jawbone.com/speakers/bigjambox

Great sound, I use my iPod Touch l4th Generation or iPhone music and can take it with me anywhere ... How cool is that :)

Thanks Mike for the spell check service ....

I did mean iPod not iPot LOL http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/images/ipod-touch-4g/ipod-touch-4g.jpg

See the problem one has using more then one language :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 19:41:43 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 18:13:48 »
I have A2DP Bluetooth streaming audio configured with the Europa TR in my Fintail...  I almost exclusively listen to real time German pop radio stations.  At least until Verizon manages to wrestle my unlimited data plan out of my hands...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

hauser

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 18:34:25 »
Retro Sound makes me barf. 

My my Scoot!  How many more times do we have to hear you say the same old thing about retro sound?  What does it matter to you so much? 

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 18:52:09 »
My my Scoot!  How many more times do we have to hear you say the same old thing about retro sound?  What does it matter to you so much? 
I guess each time there is a new thread where someone asks about radio alternatives, and everyone chimes in with their opinion.  That's how many times.  How many times are you going to post a link to Retrosound?  You sound like I'm being punishing by stating my opinion, and honestly I think you are way off base.  I don't like your pejorative attitude.

When you ask "why does it matter to me so much", I'm not clear on what you are asking.  If you are asking why I dislike Retrosound so much it's because it looks like a tacky imitation piece of crap that is pretending to be in a collectible automobile and trying to look just fine.  It doesn't look just fine, anymore than a modern DIN radio would look fine.  I care a LOT about the appearance in the car and more than the sound.  You obviously are on the opposite side on this issue, which is FINE WITH ME.  But keep the "how many times do WE have to..." crap to yourself.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 19:05:05 »
I want to know more about Rolf-Dieter's I-Pot.....

Have you been in Colorado or Oregon lately? ;D

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

hauser

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 19:45:47 »
I guess each time there is a new thread where someone asks about radio alternatives, and everyone chimes in with their opinion.  That's how many times.  How many times are you going to post a link to Retrosound?  You sound like I'm being punishing by stating my opinion, and honestly I think you are way off base.  I don't like your pejorative attitude.

When you ask "why does it matter to me so much", I'm not clear on what you are asking.  If you are asking why I dislike Retrosound so much it's because it looks like a tacky imitation piece of crap that is pretending to be in a collectible automobile and trying to look just fine.  It doesn't look just fine, anymore than a modern DIN radio would look fine.  I care a LOT about the appearance in the car and more than the sound.  You obviously are on the opposite side on this issue, which is FINE WITH ME.  But keep the "how many times do WE have to..." crap to yourself.

Here we go again!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 19:51:54 »
Here we go again!
I don't know what your problem is, you seem to be trying to start a fight or provoke me and honestly I don't understand it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:30:32 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

hauser

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 20:15:50 »
Response to your PM has been sent.

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 21:24:07 »
Well I find the RetroSound works fine, even has Bluetooth for the  'phone.

Looks are a personal taste, but I am quite happy with the pinstripe/chrome finnish.

Keep Happy

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 03:28:00 »
Well I find the RetroSound works fine, even has Bluetooth for the  'phone.
Looks are a personal taste, but I am quite happy with the pinstripe/chrome finnish.
Lots of people are happy with RetroSound.  Sure, it's an option, and it's easy.  So is a remote hidden stereo, or a portable bluetooth boom box.  My thinking is that if a Mexico sounds bad and it has replaced speakers to check the speakers and see if they are a good match for the radio.  Most replacement speakers are not.   The most interesting thing that I can think of no one seems to be doing (including me) is to keep the Becker head unit and replace the amplifier with something more powerful.  That is on my to-do list.   I've done limited experiment with MP3 input to several Beckers and think it's a great way to go, and when I have time will probably work further on the concept of integrating a phone car kit with a Becker and perhaps a modern amplifier.    For me it's mostly about preserving the appearance.   But others are more interested in good sound (which makes me wonder about the choice of a Pagoda to begin with) but that's fine too.   If picking up reception in remote areas is an issue, it probably can't be overcome with a Becker.  But amplification and speaker and bluetooth all can.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 14:19:41 »
My best guess is that either you are expecting to much, or more likely, the speakers are not a good choice for this application.  Becker is expecting low wattage 4 ohm speakers and it's difficult to even find appropriate speakers.  If you install a modern speaker rated for 20 - 100 watts it's guaranteed to sound like crap.  Much less if you install 4 of them.  Look at speaker choices from BeckerAutosound or KonigsKlassics for ideas.  

When searching KonigsKlassics  website, I found that dedicated speakers, including enclosure, for W113 are rated 20w/4 ohm.Are they the ones you are referring to?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-280-SL-113-chassis-kickpanel-stereo-speaker-set-with-grills-/261713981381
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 14:47:44 by philmas »
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 15:39:46 »
When searching KonigsKlassics  website, I found that dedicated speakers, including enclosure, for W113 are rated 20w/4 ohm.Are they the ones you are referring to?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-280-SL-113-chassis-kickpanel-stereo-speaker-set-with-grills-/261713981381
I haven't looked at KonigsKlassics.  The ebay link you sent is Becker Autosound in New Jersey.  I don't know what those are rated at but they are a good choice. 
The last time I bought speakers I bought them from SLS in Germany as their price was better and I needed other parts at the same time.
http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/en/home/

A Mexico should be able to drive 4 low-watt 4 ohm speakers with no problem.  It's not going to sound like a modern stereo, the sound will not be as full, but it will sound much better than higher watt speakers.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 16:05:19 »
Well, as you said, the sound is not as full or open as in a modern system, to say the least !What strikes me is a terrible loss of treble !.
But I suspect the issue is more related to  speakers location,
recessed in the footwells, than to speakers specs (power rating, impedance..)
In modern cars, speakers take place most of the time in the bottom of doors (woofers), while the tweeters are generally located in the upper part of the doors, or in the dashboard itself (which makes sense from an acoustic point of view!)
I'm still doubtful if  changing my "modern" speakers for classic Becker's would improve things... should a vintage car have a vintage sound, that is the question ;D
Philippe from Paris

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 16:30:25 »
Well, as you said, the sound is not as full or open as in a modern system, to say the least !What strikes me is a terrible loss of treble !.
But I suspect the issue is more related to  speakers location,
recessed in the footwells, than to speakers specs (power rating, impedance..)
In modern cars, speakers take place most of the time in the bottom of doors (woofers), while the tweeters are generally located in the upper part of the doors, or in the dashboard itself (which makes sense from an acoustic point of view!)
I'm still doubtful if  changing my "modern" speakers for classic Becker's would improve things... should a vintage car have a vintage sound, that is the question ;D

FWIW the bass in the single center speaker is better than in the smaller kick panel speakers, but you have stereo.   I'm fine with the vintage sound and honestly it's noisy enough in there that most stock radios are going to be overcome by road noise.    One of the nicer sounding Mercedes cars I've owned was a W114 250C with a mono Becker Europa and a single center dash speaker.   But that was a quieter car also.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 17:01:46 »
I agree that our cars are noisy, at least above 70km/h , and most of the time, I just turn the radio off at these speeds...however, even listening to the news (or music) at idling speed in the urban traffic can sometimes prove to be difficult...as if you just wanted to rotate the treble/bass button some 90deg more to the right ! :D

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 17:10:27 by philmas »
Philippe from Paris

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 22:41:10 »
The most interesting thing that I can think of no one seems to be doing (including me) is to keep the Becker head unit and replace the amplifier with something more powerful.  That is on my to-do list.

Yes, Scott,

That would be also the only acceptable solution for myself.
Haven't gone that way yet but sounds very interesting.
What kind of amplifier do you recommend? Do they work properly with the Becker head unit, are you sure?

Don't want to loose the "original" Becker Stereo either.

;) :D

Best,

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 22:59:07 »
Hi Achim -
That would be also the only acceptable solution for myself.
Haven't gone that way yet but sounds very interesting.
What kind of amplifier do you recommend? Do they work properly with the Becker head unit, are you sure?
The guy who was making the kits recommend a 200W Clarion amplifier, but said anything with an adjustable gain would work fine. 
Here is the setup I purchased:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/291500294970  but I absolutely can't say if it works properly.  I see no reason it shouldn't work properly but I haven't tested it yet.

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California