Author Topic: Wood Trim Colour Identification Code  (Read 3155 times)

batman

Wood Trim Colour Identification Code
« on: July 17, 2015, 14:02:53 »
With my dash dis-assembled, decided to also refurbish the tired looking wood trim (wood is covered in a thick heavy lacquer that is cracked in parts). Easy to remove with full access to the 5 blue plastic nuts.

The question is whether the current colour is original.

Underneath the trim is the following code (see photo).

Does anyone know if this number is a specific colour code for the wood trim?

If not what does this number mean?

regards

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Wood Trim Colour Identification Code
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 15:27:00 »
Most interesting. As far as I know, there was not a color option for the wood in the 113. As has been mentioned in other posts, the best gauge for judging the wood color is to look at the trim in the rear window of the hardtop. Because of its location it does not get the sun exposure that the dash wood does.

I know others have posted photos of various numbers written in marker crayon, inside the headlight buckets, on the door panel cardboard, on the seat backs, etc. But even these did not seem to correlate with anything on the data cards or code lists.

Will be most curious to see what others have to type.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

batman

Re: Wood Trim Colour Identification Code
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 01:15:26 »
Yes Jonny agree.

The numbers inscribed on the back of the trim...."320R6"...bear no correlation to any number on my Data Card or stamped anywhere on the car.

Is it reasonably logical to think that in the "Trim Workshop" at Sindlefingen this number was inscribed on the back of the wood to tell the next person in the production line what shape (RHD) or colour or finish to add?

If not then I wonder what is the purpose of adding "320R6" to the wood trim