Author Topic: 230SL restoration on the velocity channel tonight  (Read 5495 times)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
230SL restoration on the velocity channel tonight
« on: July 15, 2015, 23:59:53 »
Just happened to see this on the TV guide for the Velocity channel tonight, "Fantom Works" with Dan Short. 230SL considered for restoration. Looks like it originally aired on July 8. 7pm PDT, 10EDT

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: 230SL restoration on the velocity channel tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 00:10:29 »
Good catch. I found some info on their website.

http://fantomworks.com/project/1964-mercedes-sl230/
http://www.sportscars.tv/Newfiles/mercedes.html
Quote:
Warning: If you (and your bank) can't afford a 230 SL, don't give in to the temptation to "just" test drive one - you'll get such a craving for it as to make Tantalus look like a Brahman achieving Nirvana.

/hans in sweden
/Hans S

Bicbiker

• Junior Level
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 15:39:00 »
Overall this is entertaining.
A bit of hyperbole - there is a comment that to re-install the "dealer installed air-conditioning", you really need to pull the engine.
1) I doubt the dealers ever did that back in the day.
2) Fantom Works managed to do it without pulling the engine.
They did encounter the common problem of the AC compressor pulley hitting the sway bar, with a novel work around.
Thomas Ray
1967 230 SL Auto 463 H (Copper)
2005 Audi A6 4.2 (40 valve)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 16:00:36 »
It was entertaining but surprised the owner said he wanted to "race" the car? Lots of surface rust but not a mention of what the under carriage looked like. I guess it was OK. Looked like a decent restoration overall and nice to see our cars get some time on the tube.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

hauser

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 16:01:22 »
I don't believe that the cars paint was 50 yrs old either.  The dash was brown which is most likely the original color.  The interior upholster post for the windshield had a different date than that of the car.

mario

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 19:40:11 »
I watched this when it originally aired and found myself shaking my head and face-palming the entire time.  Even for a relative newbie to Pagodas like me, all I could think was that the owner was wasting his money by letting that shop work on the car. 

mbzse

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 20:19:36 »
Quote from: Bicbiker
.../....the "dealer installed air-conditioning".../...
1) I doubt the dealers ever did that back in the day.../...
Yes, all the A/C equipped pagodas in the US were installed by MBNA, type Frigiking or sometimes named Kuhlmeister. These units were not available in Europe.
The matter was discussed before; and Will Samples wrote:
Frigiking A/C in W113
I met the guy who designed the A/C for the W113's. An elderly buddy of mine had to visit an elderly buddy of his to look at a Model A engine. I was invited so I could drive. Arrived to see the A engine and I was introduced to the man and told he used to work for Frigiking in Dallas. Asked what he did, he designed systems for cars, what cars, he listed a few and included Mercedes, which models, he says the 230SL etc. So I ask for the story.
M-B contracted with Frigiking. M-B put a new W113 in a crate, shipped it to Dallas and Frigiking put it unopened into a room accessed only by this fellow and 1-2 others. In complete secrecy (you know those Germans) he custom fabricated the system, Frigiking tooled up for it, and the car was re-crated and shipped back to Germany. The units were then sold by and installed by MBNA dealers all over the US.
My -71 has an inline fuse near the receiver dryer. The location can vary as they were installed at the dealership, and each mechanic had their own way of doing things.
For those with a Kuhlmeister underdash unit, that was designed by John E. Mitchell Co. on Main Street in Dallas. At one time they had a service dept right at the plant and I went there to have my Fintail A/C worked on.   /Will Samples
I offer a little background info/history for what it is worth. About 8 years ago a retired friend of mine wanted me to drive him a distance to offer tech help on a Model A engine. He said I would enjoy meeting the Model A owner.
After introductions were made I found out the A owner had retired from Frigiking in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. (The other maker of A/C units for Mercedes was John E. Mitchell Co which made Kuhlmeister in downtown Dallas. I was able to visit their firm before they were bought and dismantled by the competition and took advantage of their service dept)
The Model A guy was the actual person who designed, engineered and developed the A/C for the W113. He had a room that was off limits to everyone but his team. The Mercedes factory would crate a W113 or other Mercedes and ship it to Frigiking where they would remove the car from the crate inside their room, execute the A/C design, re-crate the car, and ship this samle car and the A/C unit back to Germany prior to the official launch of the car.    /Will Samples
Air condition dealer installed in US
The A/C units for the W110, 111, 112 chassis cars were all installed in the US. Most of them were installed by MBNA at the vehicle preparation centers in the US. However, some of them were dealer installed. The same thing was true with more radios. On my 1966 250SE coupé, both the A/C and car radio were dealer installed. I know this because I worked at the local dealership in 1967 and was doing the dealer prep on the new cars. /Bob Gunthorp
Frigiking, sometimes Germanized to "Kuhlmeister," was factory air for the W113. Technically, they were not installed at the factory in Germany, but were installed by the dealer in the US, given a kit and instructions. They were built by Cummins, in Austin, Texas.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 20:27:34 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Bicbiker

• Junior Level
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 22:01:53 »
Hans -
   Perhaps my meaning was lost in translation. I agree with you, all the U.S. AC units were installed by the dealers - my Frigiking certainly was. My comment was in response to the Fantom Works owner who said that to install the AC one should actually remove the engine to do that job. I feel that  was overstating the problem. I seriously doubt that any dealer _removed_the_engine_, in order to install the AC.
   Just to clarify my comment.....
Thomas Ray
1967 230 SL Auto 463 H (Copper)
2005 Audi A6 4.2 (40 valve)

mbzse

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 22:17:55 »
Quote from: Bicbiker
../... Just to clarify my comment.....
Thomas,
Sorry, I totally misinterpreted your posting, then. All clear and settled now  :)
/hans in sweden
/Hans S