Author Topic: Tachometer Installation  (Read 3149 times)

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
Tachometer Installation
« on: July 15, 2015, 02:14:28 »
Back in January, I sent my 1967 230 SL Tachometer to Palo Alto Speedometer for a re-built. I do not remember if the back case of the tachometer was rubber or metal. When I received the rebuilt Tachometer, it has a metal back case as in the photo. Not until now, when I attempted to install it on the dash, it did not sit right, it did not flush with the dash’s face. I tried every which way without success. After looking at the picture in the manual, I discovered the configuration of the lights on each side is different than that in the manual (photo attached). The holding bracket is not positioned high enough to give a clearance to the cable connection with the Tachometer. It seems that the holding bracket does not belong to the metal back case tachometer. That makes me think that my original tachometer could have a rubber back case for which the two light are positioned higher than the one in the picture. Is anyone having any thoughts or a fix of this unusual situation?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:27:18 by zalsaigh »

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Tachometer Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:00:59 »
Hi,
your holding bracket looks like the rev counter bracket. The bracket for the speedo is more symemtric and has a cut-out for the speedo cable and a hole for the light bulb ( see here www.pagodentreff.de/artikel/armaturenausbauen.html).
...WRe

batman

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:04:21 »
This is correct.

I have both brackets out of the dash at the moment - the top bracket in the photo (with the hole) is for the speedo.

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 16:23:32 »
Mark: Thank you. Both Brackets seem to be for RH drive. Your tachometer bracket seems to be modified, please look again at mines, it does not have the cutout in the bracket. My point of my posting is that there are 2 different tachometers, one has rubber cover in the back and the second has metal cover. The screw in the rubber backing is positioned higher than that of the metal backing. This will allow enough clearance for the bracket so that it will be away from the cable connector. Please look again at my picture and see that the bracket is covering the cable connector and also touching the RH bulb housing.

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 16:26:02 »
Wre: Thank you, please see my comments for Mark above about the 2 type tachometers and their brackets. The link you provided is in German which I am not able to read.