Author Topic: Clips for aluminum side trim  (Read 2692 times)

IXLR8

Clips for aluminum side trim
« on: July 07, 2015, 21:21:46 »
Hi--

I found a number of great threads on the clips to install the aluminum side trim. Very helpful.

What I couldn't find is the order of installation.

I understand that the doors get the yellow clips and the fenders get the blue clips. The trim pieces are held on by snapping the inner white and/or plastic sharp metal clips into the larger body clips.

As this white plug acts to expand the outer yellow and blue clips, should the inner white clips be mounted in the outer clips before attaching the whole assembly to the body?

Or, should the yellow and blue clips be placed in the body panels first and then insert the white plugs for their retention?

Thanks in advance for your help.

the other Joe

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
Re: Clips for aluminum side trim
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 21:44:39 »
Put in clips first, (flanges on the top and bottom),  Then put in white plugs and force in to expand and lock clips. Don't forget metal clips on door (2 is fine) and 1 each fore and aft.  Then position top of aluminum bars onto top of clip, then bop the aluminum bar down so it slips over the lower flange of the clip.  You should feel the click.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

IXLR8

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 23:47:02 »
Thanks for the info, Mike.

I found that pushing these clips through the panels was tough, but I used a short piece of 1/4 inch diameter aluminum rod. I placed it in the clip and with a few light taps with a small hammer, they drove solidly into the holes.

the other Joe

Madmerc

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 02:54:13 »
hi would yo have any pictures of how these mouldins clips go together im a bit confused thanks much apreciated