Author Topic: Seized 230 SL injection pump  (Read 2996 times)

230SL

Seized 230 SL injection pump
« on: June 16, 2015, 22:20:47 »
Hi everybody
My name is Kay-Michael from Costa Rica and I am new to your group. Thanks for your welcome. I have a 1966 230 SL which I bought (almost new) in 1973 in Guatemala and brought to Costa Rica in 1975 when my company transferred me. During the 80's I made several trips between Costa Rica and Guatemala, enjoying my car very much. Lately , perhaps to old age, terrible roads and worse drivers I have not used it as I should. Several month ago I took the car for a spin, it started without problems but after about 30 minutes the car stalled with a terrifying noise at the front end which lasted only a few seconds. Checking almost everything I finally got to the IP which was complete seized up, from the check valves to pistons, due to lack of use, bad fuel and perhaps old octane booster additive which I had been using. I am following the recommended procedures and will patiently apply the penetrating oil for the next 8-15 days and then try to persuade the pistons to move.  I am sure these procedures explained by several of your members will do the job. The only thing I still have to figure out : what caused the terrible noise. The camshaft seems to be ok, all pump elements  are in the upward position and the camshaft is working freely without touching the bottom of the followers. I still have to check the condition of the followers,could the noise have resulted from the seizure of the check valves, pistons etc. causing the camshaft to bang against the bottom of the pump elements? Thank you for any advice / hints / theories you could provide.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Seized 230 SL injection pump
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 04:06:01 »
Hello Kay-Michael,

Very unusual sequence. Seizure during operation is very rare. Check the metal oil line going from the engine block to the IP. Watch the engine oil pressure also, if you can get it running again.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

230SL

Re: Seized 230 SL injection pump
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 22:25:24 »
Hi Joe ,
you might be right about the sequence, when this frightening noise occurred I shut the engine off and later at home checking all components I found the IP seized,
so I do not know what occurred first and what caused the mechanical noise ( engine part as like timing chain, valves and others seem to be ok ). At the moment I am
patiently soaking the IP cylinders and pistons, so let's hope that this will solve the IP problem and then I will go on checking engine components.
Thanks and regards, Kay-Michael