Author Topic: soft top locked up  (Read 5046 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
soft top locked up
« on: September 26, 2004, 12:52:46 »
When I tried to lower the soft top on my 1971 280SL, the bottom went into the cavity and refuses to come out. I thought the whole structure was together before lowering it, but I guess the bottom was not with it. Now the soft top is extended, about 6" from the windshield, and the bottom is stuck in the cavity. It doesn't go either up or down. What do I have to do to extricate it?
Thanks,
Joe2, hoping it doesn't rain today

Douglas

Re: soft top locked up
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 13:08:14 »
This is a classic SL problem that occurs as the soft top frame mechanism starts showing wear. Try this link for info:

http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=799+top+stuck

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Re: soft top locked up
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 18:48:54 »
Well, I feel foolish (again). I tried all of the instructions that others have posted (to which Douglas pointed me) to no avail. I just don't get it.
My "L" brackets are attached to parts which are welded to the B pillar posts, so if I push the B posts, the "L" brackets are forced down. There is no way to prise the "L" brackets up whilst pushing them down.
It appears that two people can simply push against the B pillars until the "L" brackets swivel down, which I think is what the net effect is supposed to be. But, in doing that, something may become bent or otherwise damaged since the result is the application of significant force on the bottom bow against the rear of the cavity.
Any additional advice is greatly appreciated here. Like my soft top, I'm stuck!
Joe2