Author Topic: Heater Blower Removal  (Read 4095 times)

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
Heater Blower Removal
« on: March 25, 2015, 16:13:37 »
My 67 230SL heater blower is frozen and I am intending to remove it for service. Is it possible for the blower to be removed without removing the heater coil and its housing? I searched the manual as well as the forum; I could not find a write up detailing the procedure by which the blower can be removed. There are plenty of discussions about the heater levers but not about the blower. I have the tachometer, speedometer, radio, clock, glove compartment, speaker and the lower dash leather pieces out. The only thing I can see a couple of bolts retaining the air ducts to the heater housing, nothing is visible to me. I appreciate the expertise of this group for a procedure by which the blower can be removed. :'(

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
Re: Heater Blower Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 02:04:54 »
Since my posting several days ago, I have not received any response from the Pagoda’s community. I know several folks have taken out the  blower, however, there is no comprehensive write up about the procedure for the removal. I searched the forum and manual, there is no adequate information about the blower; most of the discussion was centered on the heater levers. Since then, I thought that a complete write up may be necessary for the forum members who may attempt to remove the blower in the future.  I decided to use my 40 years of experience with Mercedes to attempt remove the blower and report the procedure in the Forum. Accordingly, I was able to figure out how to remove the blower from a 1967 230SL.  If someone would like to improve on this procedure, please share with us. I am hoping that the Moderator(s) may consider adding this write up to the manual.

Heater Blower Removal, 230S
L
1.   First remove the glove compartment by removing several screws inside the compartment. The compartment light has two wires hooked to a connector located on the air distribution duct, disconnect these two wires and label them.
2.   Then, remove the clock by loosening the two thumb nuts behind the clock, pry off the electrical connector and label it.
3.   Next is to remove the radio, there are 2 set screws on the knobs and two nuts on each side. There are two retaining metal brackets that need to be loosened. Remove the radio from the back by sliding it through the glove compartment.
4.   With a good working light, you will find the air distribution plastic housing attached to the air ducts and bolted on the blower housing by 4 bolts (10 mm). Two bolts at each side of the housing and two at the center of the housing. Once these bolts are removed, the air distribution housing can be pulled forward away from the blower housing.
There are good pictures of the housing that can be used as a guide at:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=21431.0

5.   On the right hand side of the air duct, there is a wiper arm that needs to be disconnected. This will enable the air duct to be removed.
6.   If you look straight at the upper center of the blower housing, you will see two bolts (10 mm) retaining the blower housing to the car body, remove them. This will free the blower housing from the top.
7.   There is one more bolt to be removed. If you look at the center bottom of the blower, you will see an L bracket with two bolts (10 mm) retaining the blower to the bell housing. The bolt goes into the bell housing and has a nut underneath the bell housing. To remove this bolt, remove the carpet from the bell housing. On the right hand side of the bell housing, there is a circular cut out with a cover that is retained by a few screws that need to be removed. You have an easy access to the nut (10 mm), remove it.
8.   The blower housing is completely free, wiggle it and pull it to the passenger side, it should slide easily.
9.   Once the blower is out, remove the two plastic covers, you will see the wheels. Try to move the wheels back and forth; you may make the blower rotate by hand.
10.   To disassemble the blower motor, on each wheel, there are two Allen keys, loosen them and pull the wheels out.
11.   The motor is bolted on the housing by nuts, it should be removed easily.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 02:13:15 »
Thanks zalsaigh

Now in Tech Manual

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

pdc

• Senior
  • Belgium, West-Vlaanderen, Oostduinkerke
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:56:48 »
Nice , thank you I am sure many from this group will appreciate this. For those that understand German there is ,as you also refer to , a very detailed pdf  on pagodentreff explaining the heater core, heater blower and heater lever replacement.  look for Überholung der Heizungs-/Lüftungsanlage W 113

An other member and I reached out to the board of this forum to see if we could translate it but I haven't heard news since.

edit: Rolf Dieter replied and Peter Van Es was going to check with his contact at pagodentreff .
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:10:28 by pdc »
late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal