Author Topic: Where to buy enamel/substitute paint for original match?  (Read 6347 times)

rico_vancouver

Hi,

I've been fixing a lot of niggly little things over the last year or so - stuff that I thought didn't matter over 15 years of ownership. Anyhow, I'm driving it a bit more recently, and have a couple of touch up spots I need to repair.

My paint is original (mostly), so I am in need of an original black, single-stage enamel or otherwise colour-sandable alternative. I have read enough posts here that indicate some options, but looking for a supplier as well.

Thanks,

Rich

Jkalplus1

Re: Where to buy enamel/substitute paint for original match?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 16:09:30 »
I went to my local Sherwin-Williams store.  They made me a rattle can of single stage paint for my car.  Perfect match.  There are tips on YouTube on how to repair rock chips.  If you are patient and thorough, you can make invisible chip repairs.  Not a lot of skill required.

rico_vancouver

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 16:14:47 »
Wow... that's a great idea.

I have been doing paint chip touch ups for years now. I find the secret is a Meguiar's uni-grit sanding block. But I use a touch up bottle to fill the chip, multiple coats, so that it is slightly higher than the original paint. Then use the block to bring it back down to flush. Rubbing compound, then Meguiar's swirl remover to bring back up the gloss.

But I need to spray some bigger areas of concern, so next stop is Sherwin Williams.

rico_vancouver

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 23:16:56 »
Well it turns out all Sherwin Williams are not created equal - none of my stores do custom paint bombs, let alone a sandable, enamel or enamel-like product.

I did find a place that would do it, but the need the MSDS for Glasurit 040. I've been all over the inter web, and can't find it. I have an email out to Glasurit and BASF, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Baybear

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Midlothian
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 00:15:02 »
Do you have NAPA in Canada? Some of the larger ones have a paint shop attached and will make small batches of a few CCs for about $15.
Will
Will Milby
1970 300SEL 6.3, 1971 280SL, 1972 300SEL 4.5, 1972 Super Beetle, 1998 SL500, 2010 350 GLK, 2012 SLS AMG

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 02:35:37 »
Check at paintscratch.com.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 05:12:41 »
The paintscratch website actually tries to display the colour on screen, based on your input of the DB code. I pulled out the HTML code and compared it on my screen with the paint sample in our Technical Manual (for my car's colour, DB050). It's pretty clear there's a difference between the appearance on my screen of the 2 colours. Interesting.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

ghenne

• Senior
  • Canada, ON, Toronto
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 09:17:10 »
The color on your screen will never be an exact match for the real color. You'll find variations in color rendition even on two screens of the same make and model.

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 13:38:10 »
If you're in the same part of the online world that I am, y'all maybe saw these links last week in the cyberstorm that followed the white-and-gold dress. Screens and colour displays may never be perfect, but they are a lot better than in the past. And more consistent.

The 40 colours in the spectrum
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/25-people-have-4th-cone-see-colors-p-prof-diana-derval

A very neat colour discrimination test
http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

rico_vancouver

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 15:57:56 »
I received this from BASF this morning. I don't know how it identifies the colour, as it seems like safety info. Anyhow, I've sent it to a local industrial paint shop, as this is what they felt they needed to see if they could make up a spray bomb.

Montreal V8

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 18:56:37 »
Hi Rich. You might try Concept Finishes, 1121 Bridgeport in Richmond.   Cheers, Dale.

rico_vancouver

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 19:19:58 »
Thanks Dale. I'll keep an eye out for your car. I'm in the Cambie area, and frequently bomb back and forth to Spanish Banks beach with my dog (and wife).

rico_vancouver

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 21:01:25 »
Update for anyone in Vancouver that cares. Here is what I found out:

1. White and Peters is a local supplier that carries Glasurit.
2. The product code from BASF for Glasurit "MB 040 Schwartz" is actually 50231748, also identified as AH90-20 as well as GLASURIT 2-SCHICHT- DECKLACK 90-
3. This replacement product is a two-stage product - i.e. needs a clear coat
4. The make-up of this paint colour is entirely black (no other colour tints added) which is apparently not common

W&P is making me up a pure black, single-stage spray bomb. I have already tried Plastikote black enamel (looked dusty brown/black) and Dupli-Color black enamel (closer, but still slightly dusty still). Hope this works.

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 15:03:31 »
I had a couple of small chips around the grill and bought a bottle of touch up 050 paint from my local MB dealer. Perfect match for my original paint.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010