Author Topic: Should there be a hole at the top of the bulkhead under the front wheel arch?  (Read 3108 times)

Paul99

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Hampshire UK
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
I noticed there is a small hole both sides at the top of the inner wheel arch at the main bulkhead. At the top inner corner.   I thought of filling in the gap to ensure water didn't get into the space behind the bulkhead, but I noticed on a 100% rebuilt concourse car the holes are there both sides.  (each is about 1 inch by 3 inch's)/

Should these holes be there?  and if they should, doesn't water get in from the wheel rotation and fill up the bulkhead area and promote rust?  I have filled the area with anti rust, and filled over the gaps, but now not sure. 

its a 1966 230 RHD, but seen the same on 280's.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Quote from: Paul99
I noticed there is a small hole both sides at the top of the inner wheel arch at the main bulkhead. At the top inner corner.../...Should these holes be there?
Paul, I am not sure what holes you refer to.
I have borrowed a picture of a (restored) front wheel well, and marked the three drain holes that are present (red circles).
Marked with "A" is the cover plate for the rear of the wheel well, this is mounted with hex head self tapping screws and a rubber lip seal, should fit snugly and seal against the inner side of the fender metal.
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

Paul99

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Hampshire UK
  • 230 SL White. 1966.
Hi Hans,

Not those holes, I will try to post a photo.  its where the bulkhead/firewall under the wheel arch joins up.   There is a gap in the firewall where the top of the wing joins the firewall.  Its where the front wheel would throw up water in side the wing.    that's why I was surprised to see the gap on a few cars.  As the front wheel throws up water, it would go into that hole and end up behind the inner wing and where the door hangs.