Author Topic: Body Color Paint in the Wheel Wells  (Read 8183 times)

Ed Cave

Body Color Paint in the Wheel Wells
« on: September 07, 2004, 17:44:01 »
I understand it is correct for the wheel wells to match the body color paint of the 113. This is how they came out of the factory, so this technique keeps the car more original than say, painting the wheel wells flat black.

Personally, I think it looks like a bad paint job, particularly on lighter colored cars. You have a new gleaming, smooth shiny paint on the body and the rougher textured (often undercoated) wheel well in the same color and, for lack of a better comparison, looks like overspray.

This condition is not very apparent on most cars since rain, dirt, etc. tend to turn the average wheel well dark brown. I am about to paint my restoration project 158 White Grey and don't intend to drive it on dirt roads or wet days.

I have wrestled with this alot, and I know the true, hardcore purists will cringe, but I am inclined to paint the wheel wells flat black and feel pretty confident I will be happier with the results (which should always be the bottom line).

My hope is that this posting will stir up some debate on this matter and help me with my final decision. Please share your thoughts on this.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL

Download Attachment: wheel well.jpg
21.3 KB

Douglas

Re: Body Color Paint in the Wheel Wells
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 18:18:17 »
We've covered this before and the concensus is, I believe, that undercarriages and wheel wells came in black as well as body color.

Personally, I think a body color undercarriage and wheel wells are preferable. It shows off all the nice touches in a detailed undercarriage like cad plating, new rubber plugs, gaskets, wiring, fuel lines, etc. and can be a real thing of beauty.

The inescapable truth is that nice restorations sometimes have black undercarriages, but
poor restorations almost never have body color undercarriages. If you're inclined to cut corners, this is an easy one to cut.

Draw whatever conclusions you will from this fact.

Certainly there are many people in this group who will disagree with me.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

hauser

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 20:46:50 »
The one thing that has bothered me about painted wheel wells on light colored cars is that in most cases it makes the tires look smaller.  I'll try to post a couple pics with two cars of the same color and let you guys be the judge. :)

Download Attachment: 68280.jpg
32.61 KB

Download Attachment: 69280sl.jpg
31.46 KB

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 20:57:04 »
Here's a photo that shows a similar angle to your first photo:

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/douglas/2003315134259_018260.jpg

It's probably worthwhile to point out that a point this obscure is pure vanity. A detailed undercarriage is very difficult to justify -- it's hard to keep clean, nobody really sees it, it's expensive & time-consuming to make, it probably won't last long since it takes a beating each time you drive the car, the moment anything leaks you generally lose some plating or paintwork, etc.

You also have to decide exactly how far you want to go with this insanity. Do you drop the tranny to paint the tunnel? Will you be content to just tape off the front and rear suspensions or do you drop them completely? You get the idea.

On the plus side, any leaks become immediately obvious, you feel immediately gratified every time you look underneath the car, you sleep better at night knowing your undercoating has been renewed throughout, and then there are those bragging rights......

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 21:17:04 by Douglas »

Ed Cave

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 21:15:26 »
I've got to admit, it looks pretty good in silver. Look again at the white photo I attached. Its that textural contrast to the perfect body that throws me. I've got to think through this issue by weeks end! Appreciate your help.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 21:19:42 »
That's factory undercoating. Could it be that your 356 bias and their black undercarriages are interfering with any true objectivity in this matter?  :-)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 01:38:34 by Douglas »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 23:21:10 »
I have a white 280SL and when I had the car repainted two years ago, I made sure the wheel wells came out flat black. Like Ed (after seeing light cars with body-color wheel wells) I much prefer the black over the body color.
If as Doug says both methods were used by the factory, then you can still claim originality.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 23:39:13 »
Personally I'd agree the black would look better on a light coloured car. If you matched it to the matt dark paint on the schutz under the sills it should look original.

DaveB
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

n/a

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 06:15:58 »
Ed, I tend to agree.  Having just repainted my 230SL in its DB334 turquoise blue, I can say the the wheel wells now look awful in the bright original color. Possibly this is because Mercedes appears to have used a wheel well paint with less sheen than on the exterior of the body (ditto for the engine compartment), so the impefections of the undercoating did not catch your eye as you admire the car.  You are right, an observer who does not know these cars will overlook the car's graceful lines in admiration when he is quickly distracted to what appears to be an overspray problem.

Don French
'64 230 SL - 299,000 miles and 5 other classic MB's

Douglas

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 08:38:39 »
There are certain elements in the front wheel wells that some restorers will leave unpainted that may help create some contrast down there -- a black rubber gasket that runs around that vertical splash panel behind the front wheels and a small black plug above that.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

hauser

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 09:43:16 »
You can't go wrong with black especially on a light colored car.

n/a

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 11:04:59 »
This discussion is very encouraging and sensible.  When I had my respray done in light ivory, I thought the wheel wells look better black.
When I was talking with a prospective buyer for my car, he asked about the wheel wells.  When I told him they were black, he reacted as though I had painted them purple.  Nutty, IMHO.
Another guy was upset about the ivory steering wheel not being original, even though it came from another 280sl.  A lot of "anality" going on.  
Thanks for the reality check.
Best regards,
Don

Bob G

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 16:57:52 »
I cringe when I have to look at the inside of my wheel arches. I have seen on later models 1970 & 1971 dark color wells not painted. but I prefer to paint the well wells and cad plate the nuts and bolts to the steering box and see new rubber. It is so much easier to care for. But thats my opinion only.
bob Geco
1968 280SL 158 white grey

Douglas

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 17:12:57 »
Don, it's one thing to be anal, but it's quite another to be just flat-out wrong. The ivory wheel is not a 113-only part. It's the exact same wheel in all the other cars, from the lowliest 114 sedan to the grandest 111 cabriolet. Try not to be discouraged by those kinds of prospective buyers. If they haven't bothered to find out what's correct, they're probably not serious -- at least not serious enough to know/appreciate a good car when they see it.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

hauser

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 17:56:21 »
Doug you are so right with that one.  These masters of the analverse haven't a clue what is correct and what isn't.

n/a

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 12:27:21 »
Thanks for the kind words, Douglas.
Regards,
Don

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

Don, it's one thing to be anal, but it's quite another to be just flat-out wrong. The ivory wheel is not a 113-only part. It's the exact same wheel in all the other cars, from the lowliest 114 sedan to the grandest 111 cabriolet. Try not to be discouraged by those kinds of prospective buyers. If they haven't bothered to find out what's correct, they're probably not serious -- at least not serious enough to know/appreciate a good car when they see it.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

n/a

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 12:34:32 »
Ya know, Douglas, the more I think about it, wasn't the ivory steering wheel an option for many models?  If it was an option, who's to say when the option is no longer allowed?  What about someone who changes their wheels to the alloy?  This that a mortal sin?
Don

quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Bob G

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 15:47:23 »
On the cover of one of the Mercedes-Collector magazines it shows a production line of early 230SLs toward the end of the production line note the no hub-caps and the wheels painted body color.
Oh how I wish I where there , a kid loose in a candy store !!!!!!

Bob Geco