Author Topic: Heater blower padding!  (Read 5224 times)

cstinchi

Heater blower padding!
« on: November 10, 2014, 19:44:39 »
Hello Guys,
I removed the complete heater system from my car. 1966 230Sl
Just want to have a tip from you on the Blower and distributor box. I could see when I put apart that there were some padding in some places to avoid rattling. Could you guys please guide me where exactly there are places where i should use the padding(felt or rubber) on these items. See the parts before and after.
Thank you in advance for any input.
regards,
Caio Stinchi
1966 230Sl White and Turquoise
1958 190Sl Silver and Blue to be.

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim

BigLou

• Junior Level
  • USA, LA, New Orleans
Re: Heater blower padding!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 21:32:44 »
The technical manual linked me to your photos. I remove the radio of my 280SL to get access to the cables and, until seeing your photos, I thought the Behr device behind the radio was the heater core. I cannot imagine how you removed it without taking apart your entire car. Regards from New Orleans, BigLou
1969 280SL 4-sp manual
Light ivory (670)
Cognac M-B Tex (140)
U.S. version delivered by
M-B of Hollywood

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Heater blower padding!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 15:23:25 »
We used a grey foam material and used the outline of the heater box openings as a template. This was not an exotic type of material, as the environment is not all that nasty. It is a pain in the butt (and various other body joints and pieces) to do this. I have attached a photo of the heater box with the foam glued in place.

The process for removal and refit is quite good, but also quite a labor. My friend and I did this on his car and on mine. I highly recommend taking the seats and steering wheel out (not a big deal at all) it gives you much more maneuvering room. The 280 SL is a bit more difficult, as the dash is now a one piece set-up. You have to work through the radio cut out.

And yes, this is the very epitome of "we have this great little heater core, we should build a car around it...."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 15:38:06 by Jonny B »
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor