Author Topic: Gauge Bezel Removel  (Read 3771 times)

Trip

Gauge Bezel Removel
« on: November 04, 2014, 22:42:23 »
Newbie with 1st question, be gentle on me.  How do I remove the rectangular gauge bezel - does it pop off?

KevinC

Re: Gauge Bezel Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 00:12:50 »
Trip,

Welcome to the club. Most all of us were newbies at one time so don't be shy.

Aside from all of the great members who post here, you have two additional "friends" here; the "search" function and the Technical Manual. I took a quick peek at the Tech Manual and found this...

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/DashboardInstruments#DashboardRemoval

As far as the search function goes, use it to cross-reference previous posts. Very often even the most obscure question has been asked and answered at least once before.

If all else fails, post away!

Kevin

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Gauge Bezel Removel
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:05:47 »
Did not spot the actual tip on removing the bezels in that section. Although I'm sure it's been covered in the forums, here it goes again: you will need to pry off the bezel with a small screwdriver, since it is 'crimped' on. Since the crimp is on the back of the gauge, don't worry too kuch about what you are doing. Re-fitting requires re-crimping, with some pliers (I wrap those in cloth to not damage the chrome). Do search the forums but this should do it.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 16:11:35 »
Trip,

A couple of questions. 

1.  Is the instrument cluster already out of the dash?  (are your knuckles bleeding?)

2.  If so, why are you trying to take the chrome bezel off the cluster? Glass broken?

3.  If you have an offending spot on the inside of the glass, you can get to it from the back (by removing each of the sub-clusters carefully), which avoids cracking the glass.  Also, you have to carefully remove the rheostat knob before removing the glass.

If you have it out, you may want to buy a new gray gasket ($30+) and remove the old brittle one.  BTW I use the Joe Alexander method, (with Joe nearby...)

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH

1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

Trip

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:32:24 »
The dash is intact.  Somehow the bezel got dented, without damaging the dash, so I assume you guys are saying I can pop it off from the front?

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 16:44:20 »
Nope.  Have to take the unit out to pry it off the instrument cluster unit.  Tricky operation.

Good Luck.

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive