Author Topic: would removing the bosch europen headlights take away the value if the 280SL  (Read 4205 times)

Bob G

I have made amistake and did not correct it in time. When I was have some work done at Jerry Hjelness I had him  put in the European Bosh Head lights. I have a set of new and used  LE16357 Bosch headlight doors that are correct.. I world have to have the fenders and the the sides oan top of the fenders re scruples and the clips put back.
What is you thoughts on this I really do not like the European Headlights and am sorry I di that. willl it take a way any valve for my 1968 280SL when I sell it?
Bob Geco

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
Bob,

This is a question for Pete Lesler, or maybe Johnny B.  May want to PM them.

I don't know enough about the valuation end, but If the car was Euro, I'd want the Euro doors, and Vice Versa.  Because the darn doors are so pricey, it may hurt marketability, but this is just a neophytic opinion.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Since Paul Bracq designed the car with these "Euro" lamps they are surely legitimate.  ;)
I don't think it will hurt the resale value, there are other more critical areas affecting a sales price.
 Don't know why these US version lamps always remind me of Teddy Roosevelt!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 19:47:26 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Bob,

As you have a California car, a true California car, the body is in pretty good shape.
If you are trying to sell it, you need to do the smallest amount of work on it, because work will cost you money.
Just clean the car as best you can, offer it as is.
Don't include ANY of your parts or collectibles, that's for eBay or something similar.
There will be those that value the Euro lights, and others that value the "original" US spec. You can't choose which buyer might be interested. Leave it be. Sell it as is.

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
I would agree with the others, for resale it should not be an issue. And for what Michael said, also agree, sell the parts separately.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
I expect there will be more potential buyers that prefer the Euro headlights than the US style. After all the car was designed with the Euro style lights. So I would leave them on and you can consider throwing in the original lights to close a deal if it seems it will do that, otherwise sell on Ebay. Best of luck Bob.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Woodland Hills
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
Hi Bob,

I hope your recent birthday was festive.
As you know, a few years ago I changed my American headlights to European on my 280SL.  Prefernce not withstanding, I found that the European headlights were more highly valued by market prices.
I also found that European headlights were more in demand by buyers.  I agree with Michael.  Leave the European headlights on the car, sell it as it sits, and use the American lights to sweeten the deal only if necessary.
Ebay awaits your parts stash.  In fact, I would like to see your list when you are ready!

Jackson