Author Topic: 230SL taillight tail light bezel question  (Read 3140 times)

Jkalplus1

230SL taillight tail light bezel question
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:58:16 »
Good morning gents,

A couple of years ago my car had red/orange taillight assemblies.  It was the single sealed unit type, with the lens fused in the bezel.

I replaced the lenses a couple of years ago by carefully grinding off the old lenses from the frame it was thermo-bonded to, as is the normal practice.  Now wanting to upgrade the frames (chromed bezels), I read the archives and found out the replacement bezels have shorter threaded studs than the ones that came with the 230SL taillight assembly.

My question: Does someone know whether the new (for 280SL) bezels currently available will fit with the rest of the 230SL reflector/light assembly despite shorter mounting studs?

Many thanks,

Jerome

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: 230SL taillight tail light bezel question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 15:13:46 »
Jerome,
the studs are threaded in, you can remove them, re-chrome your old frames and put in new studs (4 mm I believe) cut to length, and you save a few $$.
Also you 1964 car should have red/red lenses unless it was a AU, UK or Italy car; see http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/TailLights
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 19:33:07 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 21:07:14 »
Dear Jerome,

Yes, Alfred is right,
either you can remove the studs and rechrome your bezels
or
you get new ones and replace the studs exchanging them by longer ones.
The thread is 5 mm.
If I were you (I am not, I know) I would rechrome the old ones since factory new ones are very pricey

Good luck!

Achim
(allredtaillight collector)
Achim
(Germany)

Jkalplus1

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:53:59 »
Kevin you rock! Yes I will soon compare the delta between new frames (230$/each) with rechroming the ones I have to a high standard. They are really smooth and chrome is nice until you get about 30cm close you notice a bit of brass color showing through. So if rechroming to a high standard is not too much more -given they are not pitted and already smooth- than the new frames I will do that (for quality and durability). But I suspect new frames will be the most likely option, and I like the idea of the car being off the road for just a day....with platers, you never know how long it will take.