Author Topic: W108 leaking automatic transmission fluid from the speedometer linkage  (Read 13324 times)

zdzich

Hello,
Can anyone tell me how the speedometer output is sealed ? Is there an O-ring or something else ? i re-installed the transmission and the engine and I see there is some transmission fluid coming out of the hole where the speedometer linkage is connected. Transmission type is GA 230 SL E. Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 00:48:05 by zdzich »

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Zdzich,
Yes there is a little lip seal for the speedometer cable attachment. Among other postings you may find with the "search" function, our very own M-B Doctor (DanC) as well as George Davis have written these useful guidelines:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=6182.msg38737;topicseen#msg38737
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

zdzich

Thank you Hans, I very appreciate your help. To bad that I didn't do it when I had the transmission out of the car. It would be very easy but I didn't expect that it will leak. Regards,
Richard

zdzich

Hans, I just removed the speedometer gear and it is different than the one described by M-B Doctor (DanC) and George Davis. I took some pictures. Maybe in later models like the one described by M-B Doctor (DanC) and George Davis Mercedes made changes.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Quote from: zdzich
.../... removed the speedometer gear and it is different than the one described.../...
You have taken good pictures of the parts. You are right, the automatic gear boxes have a different design for the speedo cable attachment compared to the manual gear boxes. I was not aware that difference was so significant.  I do own one automatic but I have not worked on it, in this area... Great with this Forum, you may learn.
So, others can contribute with info on the auto speedo cable attachment R&R
/Hans in Sweden

PS   I attach a picture (borrowed off the Web) showing cable attachment point left side of gear box  DS
/Hans S

zdzich

Thank you Hans. I found that the sleeve in which the speedometer gear shaft is rotating is worn out. Now I have to find a new one or take this one to a machine shop and get it repaired.

zdzich

New sleeve and O ring installed and the problem is solved.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Thanks for posting the pictures! My 280SE also has a slight leak but only after the engine hasn't run in a while. I guess the trans fluid is running down and overfilling the pan. Yet another problem to fix.

Looks like the sleeve was cracked and that is where the oil leaked out? 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

zdzich

No, the crack is after the O ring seal. It was worn out sleeve and old O ring. So, friend of mine who has a small machine shop made me a new sleeve and I replaced the gear and O ring. Actually, the whole part with new gear and O ring is still available from any Mercedes dealer but is not cheap. I paid for the new gear about $30. The housing was much mo9re expensive, I think around $200. But since my friend was able to install me a new sleeve I didn't have to spend that much money.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Zdzich,

How did you get the speedometer gear and housing out? My speedo cable is out, but the housing won't move. Do you have to remove the small cover that is just behind the housing? I am trying to replace the O-ring seal.

Thanks,

Wallace 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Hello Wallace,
Yes remove the rear cover. It pins the housing in place.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Ok thanks Joe. I see the hole in the housing above. I also went out and noticed a bump on the cover that seems to align with that hole.

I am going to try my best to make it to the PUB this year for the first time!

Wallace
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Speedo housing came out when the rear cover was removed!

One thing I did notice. The new #113...speedo cable from the classic center for the W111 had a small rubber sleeve on the end that went into the housing on the trans. The old one did not and any aftermarket pieces I have seen also did not have this seal. Maybe why some speedo cables weep a bit? 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe