Author Topic: Trolls  (Read 8346 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Trolls
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:08:19 »
Peter,

Every once in a while we see these very "off topic" issues.

Understand we create (as do many other websites) part of the problem by tolerating a lot of anonymity. If one had to identify themselves by name and address and verified contact information (as opposed to an IP address) most of this would stop. My best guess is that you have spent a lot of time and effort (unknown to most of us) in crafting things here to not allow some of this stuff to even reach our eyes in the first place. Thank you for that.

I just spent a long weekend at a major Concours, the Concours of America. I met a lot of old friends, renewed old friendships, met people I've chatted with on the internet for years, met new friends too. If all of this was done anonymously I probably wouldn't do it and it would be the strangest thing you ever saw. Normally we make eye contact, shake hands and introduce ourselves. Surely that's a better model than anonymity.

As you'll see here my real name is in the signature.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Trolls
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 16:24:05 »
Michael,

I agree. See this post made many years ago…  http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=11158.msg74515#msg74515

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 17:36:16 »
.... Understand we create ... part of the problem by tolerating a lot of anonymity. ....
Interesting choice of words, Michael.
Since I am one of several who uses a "forum name" and not my full name to communicate here I want to present the other side of this coin.
We live in an age where "privacy" has lost its status as something one should protect and treasure. Many of us when we are young wanted to "stand out" and be "recognized", a trait that diminishes for most when we grow older. Not for all, of course, actors, politicians, so-called entrepreneurs, etc, thrive in the public limelight and do everything to stay there. Companies are now doing their best to entice young people to remain "publicity hungry" forever because it brings in $$. To quote: Facebook’s director of marketing, Randi Zuckerberg, poured digital napalm over the ongoing debate concerning online anonymity. “I think anonymity on the Internet has to go away,” said Zuckerburg.
Of course, privacy is the antithesis of Facebook (and the NSA).
Thus, the reason why we allow people to remain private when they join SL113.org should not be some false pretense of "tolerance" but because some prefer to stay in the background, while still contributing their knowledge and participating in group events if they desire to do so.
When Peter asks "Add a picture of yourself. We are real people, and have real names. When we meet you at an event (PUB or elsewhere) we'd like to know you, so we can make you feel welcome." that should not be taken as an indication that you are NOT welcome when you show up at a PUB or European event without having first divulged your vitals for the world to see. 
When I introduced myself at the first PUB that I attended as "I am 66andBlue" the response was always a smile, sometimes laughter, and I made many friends nevertheless.

Lastly, did we really create a problem? How many times do trolls invade our space? And do not forget some make a distinction between "constructive trolls" and "negative trolls": http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/10/27/the-problems-with-anonymous-trolls-and-accountability-in-the-digital-age/
When I was really young I very much liked to read fairy tales of trolls and witches and I am still not afraid of them.  ;)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 19:50:03 »
Interesting topic.  I was hoping for pictures of Trolls, instead I get privacy debate.  I'm not going to jump into that one, but I have added my name to my signature although I it has never been a secret.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 20:31:38 »
I'm not really a troll fan, but I thought I'd supply some real culprits.

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 20:40:06 »
I kinda like this one
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 20:42:51 »
Scoot, you're a hoot!
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 14:12:40 »
Interesting topic.  I was hoping for pictures of Trolls, instead I get privacy debate.  I'm not going to jump into that one, but I have added my name to my signature although I it has never been a secret.

Scoot… this was prompted by this thread… http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=20882.0
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 15:45:03 »
We were at a car show in Brecon UK, today,
and this was the result of some real Trolls....

3 cylinder - 2 stroke - I remember them well..

Keep well

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 15:58:06 »
We were at a car show in Brecon UK, today,
and this was the result of some real Trolls....
Excellent!
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 18:24:31 »
Saab from Trollhattan. A 3-cylinder car like that was our very first family car. Could hear that two stroke engine a mile away! My dad kept a case of oil to mix in with the petrol every fill-up in the boot. Later we had two more 96's with the Ford V-4 engines, sounded just like modern day Subaru flat fours.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 19:13:41 »
My Aunty was the vrordvrow (midwife) in Hateren (Holland) in the 60s and she always had a red Saab,
they were really strong, she had tested them - she used to tear along the dykes driving one handed as she would wave to everyone she had helped professionally - she crashed a few times !

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 00:28:22 »
And I went to the local farmers market today to troll for tomatoes and found this fellow:
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 09:28:07 »
Quote from: paladin
.../... this was the result of some real Trolls....
Yes, SAAB automobiles; R.I.P...
They have a nice museum though, see
http://www.saabcarmuseum.se/
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Saab_Car_Museum
/Hans in Sweden

PS  Note however, there is a separate entity; SAAB aerospace company which is very active and thriving (JAS fighters etc.)  DS
/Hans S