Author Topic: 230 SL engine compartment detailing: washer fluid bottle + brake fluid bottle  (Read 2583 times)

Jkalplus1

Just received the two items from the supplier. Fast smooth transaction.
For those interested in doing the same I compared my original washer fluid bottle from 1964 to the original replacement part that I received. They are both from VDO but the new one is made of a more rigid plastic and the texture on the outside is not exactly the same. If you look at the neck you will notice that the replacement has a shorter neck as well the tabs holding the brass grommets are wider on the original. there's a slight protrusion at the base of the new bottle that is absent on the original. Other than that they're pretty much identical. For the brake fluid bottle I am at a loss to find any difference between the replacement and the original. The replacement came in a Mercedes box with a part number. The only thing that is not the same is the cap and I suspect the cap might be correct for an American model whereas my original cap has writing in German and a big blue circle. The texture of the cap is slightly different as well: the replacement is smooth and the original has a slightly rougher texture that is not attributable to patina. It's easy enough to retain the original cap and fit it on the new bottle.

Jkalplus1

More photos:

Jkalplus1

I just noticed... The new brake fluid bottle has an overfill drain, you can see it in the first picture of the previous post, near my thumb. As well, the lettering "Ate" is on the right hand side on the replacement, as opposed to the left on the original. It also appears that the original had more squared corners than the new bottle. I will keep the old ones in the "authenticity" file for the car's next guardian.
I tried to show the overfill drain better in this post's attached picture.
J