Author Topic: Rear bumper Guard - Seals/Protectors - also Rechrome  (Read 3595 times)

akessel56

Rear bumper Guard - Seals/Protectors - also Rechrome
« on: July 20, 2014, 21:15:23 »
Anyone know where to find those little clear rubber strips that protect between bumper guards and bumper?

Also, wondering what I should expect to get mine rechromed.- workst looking thing on car - peeling  :-X

Thanks, Andy

Douglas

Re: Rear bumper Guard - Seals/Protectors - also Rechrome
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 00:25:25 »
I think those gaskets are sold by the meter by Mercedes. The part they sell today is black (similar to a BMW from the era), but back in the day, they were silver.

KevinC

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 00:47:04 »
Looks like George has the material in black, gray or sliver-gray...

http://www.authenticclassics.com/Silver-Grey-Rubber-Liner-Strip-Pad-p/auth-003798.htm

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:22:22 »
Well I'll be darned. I don't think they were selling the silver gasket 10 years ago, so I'm glad it's now available.

hauser

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:52:12 »
Doug, I remember you cleaning them and bringing back the color.

akessel56

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 15:56:58 »
Thanks all, any thoughts on the rechrome cost?  I'm kind of thinking about finding some shiny chrome carriage bolts and using them instead and leave the bumpers off, then of course someone will probably hit me.

KevinC

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 20:30:36 »
Andy,

Some "chrome hole plugs" might be your temporary answer. You can buy them in different sizes on-line or at your local hardware or home-improvement store. My buddy bought some at Lowe's and they suit him just fine.

As far as re-chroming... you might be best to investigate local plating companies. This said, unless your bumpers are perfect, rechromed over-riders might be over-kill. If yours aren't attractive, you might want to hold out for a decent set on ebay.

Kevin