Author Topic: Steering Coupling and Cover Plate Issues and Questions  (Read 3410 times)

rwh

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Mateo
Steering Coupling and Cover Plate Issues and Questions
« on: July 16, 2014, 18:59:37 »
I just replaced the bushings on my '64 230sl steering coupling.  Since I'm in the process of completing the restoration, the instruments were still out of the dash  and I was able to remove the seat to get more working room.  It was relatively easy to remove the steering column as well.  That's the only way I would attempt the coupling bushing replacement in the future.  

I started by leaving the column in place and moving the steering box. That was relatively straightforward.  The problem came in trying to re-install the newly refurbished coupling. Rather than struggle with the heavy steering box and getting that aligned with the coupling, I took a different approach.  I re-fastened the steering box  to the frame.  I then installed the coupling on the steering box and then tried to get the steering column aligned and then attached to the coupling again.  Even with my head down under the dash, feet on the parcel shelf I couldn't see well enough to align the steering column with the coupling -- also it was difficult (I'm doing this by myself) to maneuver the column  into the coupling.

Plan B - I removed the steering column -- pretty easy task - unbolt the fastening strap, unplug the multi-pin, and loosen the 10mm nut holding the ignition lock and twist it out of the column. The column is then easily removed.  I removed the coupling from the steering box, attached it to the steering column while the column was on the bench. For re-installation, I created a loop from some small diameter line  that I ran through the two holes to which the steering column strap is attached. This gave me a loop that I could run the column through and still have plenty of maneuvering room for moving the column up and back when attaching the column/coupling to the steering box.  Since I had painted marks on both the steering box and steering column splines before I removed the coupling, getting them aligned on reinstallation was not that hard except for the part where you have to contort yourself into the footwell (I'm getting pretty good at it now) .  In my experience, having the coupling on the column made installation much easier.  Once the coupling was attached, I removed the line loop and re-installed the column strap.   And with this method you don't even need to remove the steering box. All of the reinstallation went very quickly with this method.

While the column was on the bench, I cleaned it up.  The cover plate didn't have a gasket - it was previously attached with just 2 of the 5 10mm bolts.  I inquired of the Classic Center on what a new gasket would cost.  It was $366 -- yes - $366. I decided to use some off-the-shelf foam weatherstripping instead ( 3/8inch wide and 1/4 inch thick compressible closed cell foam).

When I bolted up the coverplate  after reinstalling the steering column and coupling, the steering would bind. It was the coupling  (the ears) hitting the coverplate.  I backed off the coverplate and that eliminated the binding. The makeshift gasket I formed using weatherstripping was not thick enough to create the proper distance between the coverplate and the firewall to which it is bolted.  I'll have to either buy the expensive gasket and go through that whole steering column contortion again to install it or just live with a "backed off" coverplate for now.  

So, if any of you have had similar problems let me know if the proper gasket eliminates them (In the SLS picture the gasket looks pretty thick).

Also, I'm wondering if  I have the coupling installed properly. When it came off the car, the coupling had the bushings on the steering column side.  All the pictures I've seen in manuals etc. show the bushings on the steering box side. That is the way I reinstalled it - bushings on the steering box side -- pins on the steering column side.  I'm looking for confirmation that that is the correct orientation for the coupling.

By the way - the car drives like new  - steering is very tight and precise.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 17:32:57 by rwh »

Capols

Re: Steering Coupling and Cover Plate Issues and Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 13:03:43 »
Thanks for the input.

I just changed mine from the inside and it went great. Ready for the summer (if it ever comes to Sweden).

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 15:44:40 »
bushings on the steering box side -- pins on the steering column side.  I'm looking for confirmation that that is the correct orientation for the coupling.
rwh, yes - you have the coupling installed properly.  Appears a previous owner installed it backward.

I replaced the ignition switch on my '64 230SL several years ago and I installed new coupler bushings while I had the steering column out - made the job a whole lot easier. I made a gasket for the coverplate out of hard rubber and seems it was about a 1/4 inch. Sounds like your coupler is sitting too high if it's hitting the plate. The coupler may need to be slid down further on the steering box shaft but you'll obviously need to loosen it first.  As I recall, the steering shaft also has a coupler/joint in the column that can be loosened to allow the shaft to slide down toward the steering box..   Should be enough adjustment between the two to allow the coupler to be adjusted down at least a 1/4 to 3/8 inchs - certainly enough to clear the plate.  Make sure your coverplate has all it's screws tight enough to secure that steering column at the bottom.   vr,,charles
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 16:37:22 by Charles 230SL »

rgafitanu@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 16:57:24 »
This is an older post but I hope somebody can answer. I have to change my steering bushings too and I would like to go with plan B and avoid having to remove the steering box. So I would remove the steering column and lift the firewall plate. As I am looking at what I have to do I have a question about the automatic gear shifter shaft.
It appears there is a big contraption in the engine bay attached to it, linkages and other things that may not go through the plate hole to give access to bushings.
Can this be disconnected somehow or is it sliding enough for access? The members wrh and charles 230SL , did you have the column shifter “problem?
Thank you,
Radu

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 00:47:20 »
The members wrh and charles 230SL , did you have the column shifter “problem? Thank you, Radu
I'm sorry Radu, but W113s don't have a column shifter. Hopefully someone with a W111 can offer some advice,, vr, Charles

rgafitanu@gmail.com

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 13:27:13 »
Oops, didn't know that. However, can the steering tube be separated from the fire wall plate?