Author Topic: 280 sl exhaust parts  (Read 3509 times)

travellerdogs

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Bowser
280 sl exhaust parts
« on: June 21, 2014, 20:59:35 »
Hi, I am trying to figure out what the siamiese pipe is called that is attached to the header pipes before the center muffler (resonater) and where I can find one here in Canada. I can't seem to find a supplier here. Can I not just replace it with two individual pipes and is this piece somehow baffled inside. Mine is getting pretty rotten and I have brazed it in several places. The rest of the system is in good shaped, bother front mufffler and rear muffler are fine. I've looked in several suppliers sites but they don''t list it. I have several lengths of new exhaust pipe of the proper size and was thinking of cutting the old part out and putting in two new pieces and tacking on a donut  bracket for hanging it on the proper mount of the body. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Carey
travellerdogs 1969 280SL,  1981 380SL:  1955 HD Panhead: 2007 HD Street Glide: 1956 Mercury Montclair, Black 2 Dr Htp; 1965 230SL: 2005 Pontiac Sunfire: 1993 Range Rover: 1977 450SL parts car:

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: 280 sl exhaust parts
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 21:39:23 »
Quote from: travellerdogs
.../... is this piece somehow baffled inside../..
Yes, the two pipes of the exhaust are interconnected, and this is important. It serves to even out the backpressure after the exhaust headers.
If you install two individual pipes, the engine will not run right.
/Hans in Sweden
/Hans S

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:21:16 »
Hello, the "front pipes" are still readily available from the dealer. Also you may find the stainless steel alternative is often less expensive. Yes, the front pipes have a "cross-over" feature for the exhaust gas.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

sam choong

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:52:06 »
Hi guys, I own a right hand drive 230sl in Malaysia and my exhaust system from the manifold to the pipes need changing. I've been  talking to some parts suppliers in Germany and none of them have been able to supply me a brand new set. Would anyone of you know where I can source the full set? Or should I get a stainless steel set fabricated?
Best
Sam

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 17:44:53 »
Its not that big of a deal.  Yes it is an interesting cross-over design, like a few other things on the car.  Cross overs allow the exhause pulse running down one side of a slit header (front 3 and rear 3 exhausts) to form a vacuum in the other pipe:  as the pulse passes the holes (  I don't know the count, maybe three or four 25mm slots a few mm tall, along the length of the reinforced area, what, 200 to 300 cm long?)  The slots are like venturies in a carburator.  As the hot gas pulse goes by, it sucks on the othere pipe.  As the rpms change, the pulse frequency changes.  So like a trombone the tuning of the pipe to maximise the vacuum changes, therefore multiple holes extends the range of effectiveness.  Each pipe has pulses.  The pulses are in synch but out of phase.  The out-of-phase suction from one pipe pulls on the pulse behind it in the adjacent pipe.  Its called scavenging.  American V8's famoulsly had one pipe welded accross the dual exhaust somewhere down below but usually infront of the bell housing or behind the tranny.  Now you can get prefab X's to keep the flow more purposefull and esthetic (X-over pipe).  I like the idea of the multiple slots helping to tune the scaveging, but the OEM piping rusted up and became ineffectively plugged.  And its a little heavey. 

The stainless prevents the plugging.  You also have the main muffler that mixes both sides.  I had more than one muffler guy say don't worry about it the main muffler does pretty much the samething.
If you would like to experiment and think you might be able to tell the difference: put in straight pipes, then put in the correct X-over in stainless and let us know what you heard and felt. 

Of-course, if its a show car it must be original.
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S