Author Topic: Gas smell from 280SL or other car in garage  (Read 8014 times)

n/a

Gas smell from 280SL or other car in garage
« on: August 21, 2004, 14:28:29 »
Hello all.  I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to drive either the 69 280SL or 86 Porsche 911 that cohabitate in my garage.  

I love the way old garages with old cars smell.  There's always a little gasoline odor in the air that new cars / garages lack.  Brings back childhood memories for me.

Yesterday the gasoline smell was stronger than usual.  I looked under both cars and sniffed around.  Can't tell which one if any has a serious leak.  Heck they both could be leaking or it could be normal but it is a lot stronger than usual.

In case I can't find by inspection where are the best areas to check in a 69 280SL for fuel leaks?  The SL was driven from LA to SF and back this summer with zero issues.  The 911 also gets driven regularly.

Look forward to your thoughts / comments.  

Pete
69 280SL
4-speed

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: Gas smell from 280SL or other car in garage
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 15:20:41 »
Check the rubber fuel tank vent lines.  Remove the cover inside the trunk behind the filler tube.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 12:14:41 »
There are a number of threads with this information, use the search feature with gas or gas leak.

BTW, when you check the rubber fuel lines in the trunk, as suggested, be sure to check that the metal tubes are open and clear.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 12:38:55 »
Pete,
  There are several areas to look at in yur Pagoda.
1. The seal fhe for the fuel sending unit can be leaking. Lift the trunk floor mat. Near the middle of the trunk floor you should find a plastic cap. Remove the cap and you can see the top of the fuel sending unit. Run you finger around the sending unit looking for fuel and smell your finger looking for fuel residue.
2. The gas tank breathing lines are connected to the tank with two strips of ruber tubing which can deteriorate and leak fuel. In order to inspect these tubes the spare needs to be removed. On the inside of the trunk near thye fuel filler caop there is a bump which is the cover plate on the inside. There are approximately 8 screws which hold this cover plate in place. After the plate is removed you can view the rubber lines and replace them in needed.
3. There are tow types of brathers for the fuel tank. I have a 1969 and have the samll one which is on the passenger side of the trunk. Check the hose connection for fuel residue. My tank was damaged and a replacement was reasoble priced.
4. If you have the small breather box on the passenger side then your fuel vapors exit below the rear bumper. There should be a little ruber funnel at the end which creates a venutri effect to draw the fumes off. If you have the tube without the funnel it can be ordered.
5. There are two flat panels inside the trunk near the back of the car. I was told that these are often thrown out as extra parts by inexperienced mechanics or auto body repairmen. I was missig these panels and because they were not there fumes from the breather funnel were able to seep into the trunk. These panels are more difficult to find.
  I hope this information helps.
Regards,
Ted w/ 1969 280Sl fume free

Malc

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 08:03:45 »
Is your weather nice and warm?
Garage getting alittle toasty???
Not been that windy? Garage pretty air tight???

Before tearing your cars apart bear in mind that as the cars warm up, so does the petrol. As older cars have vented tanks direct to the atmosphere rather than through charcoal filters and traps as per modern "smogged" cars. THus as the pertol evaporates that's what your smelling.

On the odd sunny warm days we get in Scotland  8)  (ha, ha) my garage has that certain smell.

Malc

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 14:19:00 »
Good point Malc. Still, I have not noticed any fuel smell in my garage after replacing the usual suspects a couple of years ago, not even in the hot weather we've been having here in Holland ... So maybe it's worthwile to double check also your car sometime.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Malc

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 01:51:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by cees klumper

Good point Malc. Still, I have not noticed any fuel smell in my garage after replacing the usual suspects a couple of years ago, not even in the hot weather we've been having here in Holland ... So maybe it's worthwile to double check also your car sometime.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic

Cees When you have examples of british automotive engineering in your shed - MGA sitting next to Italian scrap - Delta Integrale one of these is bound to smell :D
Malc

n/a

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 08:44:31 »
Thanks for all of the tips.  I looked under the car and there was in fact a leak.  The line going into the fuel pump was wet with gasoline.  

If you guys smell gas check there.

Pete
69 280SL
4-speed