Author Topic: Frustrated Window guide keeps falling off and slideing down track  (Read 8734 times)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
I am having a problem I have glued the felt and then glued the felt and guide to the window on the rear guide for the door window.  However when I roll up the window the guide slightly binds then comes off and drops to the bottom of the door.  There seems to be no way to tighten it on the window, correct? I am not sure why this is being caused... should I use different glue?  Does it have to do with how tight the plastic clips are screwed in with the recess screws?
Thanks, Bob
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Going from memory, here are some points that I remember:
I used 2 part epoxy glue for the felt and guides
Before gluing them to the windows, I ran the guides up and down the rails to check for binding spots and to adjust the clip tension, as well as to distribute some lithium grease.
The adjustment of the rails themselves is critical for the "lean" of the glass, but could also determine if there is any undue stress on the guides as they travel.
Good luck!
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
I used epoxi last time 10 15 years ago.  This time I used Gorilla glue.  It is a urithane a little less brittle than epoxi.  I used new felt and dampened it and saturated it with glue.  There are pictures in threads here.  Careful how low you put the back guide, it can be too low.

Let the glue harden over night.  ensure the glass is very clean.  Find the instruction in threads here, but you have to adjust the slides so the window just barely touches the front edge seal AND the glass just lightly presses on the inner seal, front and back, AND just engages the roof seal.  It takes hours and hours to get it right on one window.  The second window goes a little faster.  AND drive around and opena and close the doors a few tiomes before you button up the door.  Patience this is no job to rush.

The Gorilla glue is holding well.
Gary
Early 250SL German version owned since 71, C320, R350, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Bob,
make sure the guide is really parallel with the window pane.
Take a look at the photos here: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=11543.msg77434#msg77434
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
I'm not that far along in my reassembly, so I haven't experienced the problem yet.  I have noticed that my homemade sandblast cabinet window is nicely frosted in one corner, from reflected aluminum oxide.  It feels like about 220 grit sandpaper, so I'm wondering if I were to mask my side glasses and frost them with my sandblaster before epoxying the guides, would it make them grip better.

Any comments?

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
I used this epoxy glue (see picture) which I got from a good friend of mine. Furthermore, before gluing I actually sanded the glass at the respective areas.
Good luck
Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
you may be in a little trouble.  the middle picture shows the guide glued on low.  It should be in the middle of the glass tab.  I did that once,  :-\ on my window, the guide hit bottom before the window was all the way down.  You might get by with 1/8 to 1/4 inch of glass at the bottom.  it should be in the middle of the tab.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 16:46:49 by garymand »
Gary

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
The window goes all the way down, adjusted to be in line with the top of the whiskers. :)
I know what you mean, I would hate to have my arm resting on the glass. ::)
But no such problem.
Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
173 anthracite grey

KevinC

The window goes all the way down, adjusted to be in line with the top of the whiskers. :)
I know what you mean, I would hate to have my arm resting on the glass. ::)
But no such problem.
Urban

Speaking from experience Urban?

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
Yes, very much so Kevin. Thanks for letting me have the opportunity to gain the experience on your car first, before I did mine. ;D
Yet, mine was much worse. I still cannot get over the fact that one guide jaw was missing. To be clear: not fallen off, missing.
Well, all good now. Perfect fit to Hard top and Soft top which was renewed this winter by the Master Gernold Nisius. Can't get any better than that.
Got to take pictures and proudly post them under "what have you done to your Pagoda today". :) :)
Sorry, I am getting too far off the topic.
Gruss, Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
173 anthracite grey

jpinet

I'm not that far along in my reassembly, so I haven't experienced the problem yet.  I have noticed that my homemade sandblast cabinet window is nicely frosted in one corner, from reflected aluminum oxide.  It feels like about 220 grit sandpaper, so I'm wondering if I were to mask my side glasses and frost them with my sandblaster before epoxying the guides, would it make them grip better.

Any comments?

Tom Kizer
Tom,

I marked the contour of the guides on my glass with a felt pen and used a Dremmel with a stone to etch the glass on both sides and on the edge. You have lots of control over this process and it does a perfect job. I used fiberglass fabric between the guide and the glass. I first dampened the fiberglass with 2 part epoxy, then slid the guide over this. I then applied a good quantity of epoxy to the assembly.  I know this hold well because I had to remove both guides on a glass that shattered just as I was finished, and it took many many blows with a cold chisel and a hammer to get the guide off what was left of the glass.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Frustrated Window guide keeps falling off and slideing down track
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 01:30:48 »
Use alcohol to clean up the glass before gluing.  Any oil from finger prints, grease or lubricant from the rails which get on the glass will make the job a waste of time. I have had good luck with 2 part epoxies, clear silicone adhesive and urethanes as long as the glass is perfectly clean before gluing.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 23:18:18 »
Once you get the window back in, adjusting the plastic glides is tricky.  It is very easy to get them too tight, one of a few factors that makes the glass hard to roll up and down.  Try rocking the glass and tightening the guide screws and looking at the play in the plastic.  Stop when all the play is just removed -no more.  The role the window and check for play or too tight all the way up and down.  I found binding in the horizontal guide that had to be cleaned up befor the window would glide as it should.
Gary

jpinet

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 05:01:40 »
I used a file to perfectly smooth the rails where the sliders slide and slightly greased them. I believe it makes a difference with how easy it is to get my windows up and down. After hours and hours (and hours!) of taking everything apart and readjusting the whole thing, mine are now perfect and have a smooth feel to them.

garymand

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, Meadow Vista
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 19:05:20 »
Great work, its very time consuming.  And, if you rush it, you will regret it.  I think I invested 3 days on each window. 
Gary