Author Topic: AC hoses  (Read 9443 times)

Ancedes

AC hoses
« on: May 12, 2014, 17:02:32 »
I installed a new Sanden AC compressor to replace the old one. The hose connections are not compatible with the old compressor. I wonder if I cut the terminals and use hose clips to connect the compressor considering the pression involved. I saw on a Pagoda thread where these clips were shown on an AC picture. Does somebody used them with success for this application?
Thanksss.

George Des

Re: AC hoses
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 17:32:52 »
On an A/C system you have a high pressure and a low pressure side. That being said, even the low pressure side needs to use hoses with secure fittings. Especially with the newer R134A this means crimped on fittings with oring seals a the connections. Any good A/C shop should be able to crimp on the proper fitting for you

Ancedes

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 23:27:57 »
I was unable to get my A/C hoses crimped after visiting 2 hydraulic and 2 air conditioned shoppes. They buy hoses already crimped to the right length. I tried to put 2 hoses clamps on both hoses connected to the compressor. After 4 days, gas pressure is steady and the air produced is cold.
The low pressure side is around 50 PSI and the high pressure is probably under 200PSI, which can be handle by a pair of hose clamps.

wjsvb

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 02:10:13 »
If you want, try someone who repairs forklifts & such.  They may be better equipped to make a crimped hose.  At the same time, be sure they understand the correct type hose for A/C.  It was 96deg the other day.  Wish I had A/C!  Jon
jon

67 250SL early
12 Jeep GC (gone but not missed)
69 300SEL 6.3 Euro project (gone but not forgotten)
81 280SL Euro 4spd

Ancedes

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 15:12:45 »
Picture of hose installation on the Sanden 508 A/C compressor.

Ancedes

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 21:41:41 »
Disappointment with the Sanden 508 A/C compressor. After less than 5 hours of intermittent operation, it started to slip the belt noisily. I checked the belt tension, it was OK. The casing was hot. When new, I noticed that the pulley was wobbling a bit and it is getting worse I think. Will check the front bearing.
This happened  when driving fast at 4300 RPM.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 21:48:28 by Ancedes »