Author Topic: 108 seat covers on a 113?  (Read 4097 times)

rb6667

108 seat covers on a 113?
« on: April 18, 2014, 12:56:21 »
I have located a really nice set of bucket leather seat covers from a 72 280 SE  108 series.  The leather looks, feels, just like the covers on my 113.  Can a good interior guy makes these covers work on the 113?

I know the 108 seat is larger, but that original leather has that look that the replacement leather covers do not have.

Your advise is appreciated.

andyburns

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Drury
Re: 108 seat covers on a 113?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 18:13:32 »
I looked very closely at doing this and decided it wasn't a good idea.  With MB tex anyway.  Leather may be a different story.  The 108 has an extra pleat which if you leave it in would not look right.  And to take it out would mean that the cover would come up slightly too short.  Also the 113 seat is slightly longer.  Given leather has a bit of stretch you might be ok with this.  

It takes about 8 hours to strip and refit  the seat covers.  If you have to get into cutting and sewing I would imagine that time would double.  Its very time consuming and fiddly to get the shape just right even for a professional.

If your paying some guy 80 an hour it might be more prudent to go for a new set of covers as the additional labor to modify may very well cover the cost.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 19:08:54 by andyburns »
Andy Burns, Auckland New Zealand
1963 230sl
1967 250s w108
1969 BMW 2002
2007 Mitsubishi i car

rb6667

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 18:03:08 »
This is just the type of information I was looking for Andy.  I was pretty confident that someone had been down this same road before.   I agree with your comments just more trouble than it's worth.  Thanks very much for taking the time to post the picture.  That made the decision easy!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:01:19 »
It takes about 8 hours to strip and refit  the seat covers.  If you have to get into cutting and sewing I would imagine that time would double.  Its very time consuming and fiddly to get the shape just right even for a professional.
Wow.  I had no idea it was that time consuming.   Is that for Pagoda seats or just seats in general?  Is it the disassembly of the seat itself that is the time consumer...?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

andyburns

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Drury
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 07:36:54 »
Hey Scoot, its the same old story...  if you havn't done a couple of these before then there is quite a bit of sitting back wondering what to do next.  You could charge in like a bull in a tea shop but if you end up damaging anything then you will be out of pocket.  Being careful certainly sucks up the hours and at the end to the day if your not careful then the chance the job will look like crap is going to escalate.

Once the covers are off you have to carefully assess the frame, spring and horse hair pad to know what your course of action will be.  If you are lucky your springs and pads are good and you are able to proceed with the refit.  If your not lucky then you have to strip the frame of all the springs and refit the new ones.  A couple of hours to do this.

If you have an early 230 like I do and have to change the horse hair pads then you are instantly into a world of hurt having to build up the asymmetric late model Mexican pad to the same dimensions as the factory 230 pad.  To get this right you will probably need to set aside at least 3-4 hours if you have never done it before.  Also add in all the running around time picking up glue, extra foam padding, new C clips to secure the leather (they dont come with the kit).

Then if you dont have headrests you also stumble on the huge gaping holes in the new mexican pads that also need to be perfectly plugged with the right foam.  Back in the car off to the supply shop... again.

Then considering how much time and money everything has cost thus far, while the frame is apart you need to consider any repairs to the frame and all the chrome on it.  More running around time and effort.  Mine had a broken lever which I had to prep and weld.  Another couple of hours.

The fitting of the covers would seem quite straight forward but getting it right again soaks times.  If you want to pull them on first time and accept any creases then fill your boots, but if you want a really good finish you end up pulling, heating and stretching until they look just so.

I spent far longer than 8 hours on mine but perhaps I am a bit of a ponderer compared to other more skilled diy guys.   I also have based the time on two quote I got from top auto trim shops here in Auckland.  Both quoted between 8-16 hours and that wasn't including any of the chrome of frame repair.
Andy Burns, Auckland New Zealand
1963 230sl
1967 250s w108
1969 BMW 2002
2007 Mitsubishi i car

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 12:41:23 »
Wow.    I think I want to try this process on my W111 sedan parts car instead.  I realize that the seat springs are completely different...   But learning curve....
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California