Author Topic: Dosen't get much better then this!  (Read 6410 times)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Dosen't get much better then this!
« on: April 06, 2014, 22:29:58 »
 Just a spectacular day here today so we took our car down the hill to fill up the tank at Costco before taking an extended ride back up here in the Motherlode country. Picture 1 was taking overlooking the Sacramento Valley with Folsom (the town that Johnny Cash made famous) in the foreground, the high rise buildings of Sacramento in the distance and the Hills surrounding the wine producing region of Napa/Sonoma on the horizon, a distance of nearly 80 miles. The 2nd picture shows how a 46 year old car looks right at home with a modern contemporary home that is under construction down in Folsom. I think our SL looks much better personally:-)

I hope many of you had the opportunity this weekend to be out and about driving your Pagoda as well.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Dosen't get much better then this!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 23:57:57 »
Hi John,

Your car looks great on a nice and sunny day. I had no chance today to take my "Blue Tornado" for a spin to much on the old ToDo  List this time of year, besides, spring here is teasing us we did wake up this morning with some frost on the ground and all over my deck. Late afternoon I watched our DD as forum member Peter (PJ) and his wife pulled up in there white Pagoda ... It somehow  made me jealous and wishing I had taken my toy for a spin instead washing the DD ... Oh well there is always next week and next weekend :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 18:35:44 »

I hope many of you had the opportunity this weekend to be out and about driving your Pagoda as well.

John

Hi John. Nice pics! At the risk of flattering you to death, its come to the point where I look outside and say "this is definitely 49er photo-op weather..." But yes, I too had to take a top-down spin through our neck of the woods. If you would only turn north on 49 instead of south, you could join me!

In my case, I jumped in to "get cat litter." Funniest thing happened: the store is only a mile away, but I ended up driving for 30 miles -- past Nevada City, up the 49, up the Downieville Highway and back, taking in some fantastic side roads along the way. Then I remembered the kitties....

I know we each boast about our favorite Pagoda-friendly geography -- and many places are tremendous -- but 70s in April, in the California Gold Country is pretty darn special...

So, Do we need dog food?  :)
James
63 230SL

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 21:44:32 »
30 miles to get cat litter that was only 1 mile away?   Yep - I understand perfectly.   

Yesterday, the sun came out and it took my daughter and I an hour and a half to go to the local Tim Hortons for a gift card and return -Tim Hortons is only 6 blocks away.
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 23:06:05 »
Hi James, Yep, we are lucky to live where we do. Haven't been up to Downieville in years but will have to make a run up there again one of these days. We too only planned on a short drive yesterday and even pulled in the driveway once before heading right back out again. Really was perfect weather and we clocked another 80 miles on the odometer. Just having to much fun, for sure:-)
 And Rolf, I hope you get some good spring weather and get to take your SL out for a ride this weekend. Any plans to celebrate your Pagoda's 1st birthday? :)

John
1969 280SL 003820

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:45:20 »
Yes John, I sure will the first year that I drove her home in May and naturally the 45th year when she rolled off the assembly line. However, for her 45th I may take a trip to Visit Michael S. Since his Pagoda rolled  of the assembly line only 3 cars behind mine our VIN numbers are only three apart. :) that is quite something when you think about it taking into account the different journeys the two cars have undertaken.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 20:06:07 »
These are wonderful photographs... rarely do you get clear skies to see so far... and as the Pagoda is a beauty, it resonates well with the modern building which I don't think is all bad. And you must have spotted something good as well, otherwise you would have just driven on.

Keep up the good pictures!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

49er

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 20:56:37 »
Thanks Peter, I do post a LOT of pictures and have hoped I had not worn my welcome out. It just seems like every time we go out for a drive, we always find some photogenic spot for a picture with our our beloved Pagoda front and center. As for the futuristic house, I really did think it showed the timeless beauty of our cars and how, in the future, they will still look as modern as they did 50 years ago. Mr. Bracq did a great job, for sure.

John
1969 280SL 003820

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 21:52:05 »
Hi John,

Timeless indeed, the photo with the house in the background reminded me of one of the Die Hard movies ... :)