Author Topic: Crooked steering drag link from factory?  (Read 1945 times)

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
Crooked steering drag link from factory?
« on: March 28, 2014, 17:23:27 »
I was looking under my car the other day while having the exhaust sorted out at Timevalve, and I noted that my drag link was slightly higher on the idler arm side compared to the steering box side. I now see that Andy noted the same thing while doing a mock up with his original steering parts, in his reply #114 on this page: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18284.100

Has anybody else noted the same thing on his/her car? If that's original, what is the reason? How does that affect the steering pattern of the wheels, left compared to right?

GGR

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
Re: Crooked steering drag link from factory?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:04:44 »
I had another look under the car yesterday evening and the drag link is about one to two cm higher on the relay arm side side. I also noted that the length of the relay arm is about 1 cm shorter than the pitman arm. I had noted that on the workshop manual and I though it was a typo, especially as they are reported to be the same length on the w109 6.3 (but longer on both side). I found out that the end of the arms is equal relative to the front subframe. But the pivot axis of the relay arm is about 1 cm forward compared to the one of the steering box. I wonder why that is and why it isn't so on the 6.3 too.