Author Topic: Fuel Injection Pump Problems  (Read 28168 times)

County Guy

Re: Fuel Injection Pump Problems
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2014, 02:15:07 »
m300cab:  Thanks for the tip on the 'in pump' filter.  These small hidden traps can really keep us scratching our heads.  I removed and cleaned the one in my pump so I'm pretty sure it's ok.  I also replaced the return check valve in the other orifice thinking that I might be getting air in the lines because of the missing check.

ja17:  Thanks very much for the clear explanation and analysis.  You have pointed out several areas that I need to look at.  I read somewhere that the pressure was around 14 psi and assumed that that was all the pump was capable of producing.  I plan to take another reading with the return pinched off.  I believe my 230sl is the later one because the only thing I can find in the return line is the one at the exit end of the injector pump.  I had a look at that and was surprised to see that it is such a tiny hole through which the returning fuel must pass.  I guess this is what keeps the injector reservoir full of fuel, only allowing the excess to return and maintaining the pressure within.

So, checking through your list, it appears that my problem is a pump unable to produce the required psi.  I intend to test it as you describe, first on the car with the return line closed, and if I don't see the required pressure, I will test it on the bench, though I don't expect that will show any different result.  At that point I will look at the after market pumps you mention.  The Carter will serve while I have another look at the original.  I seem to remember some talk of shims in there that might be use to make better seals. I don't think I would want to stay with the aftermarket if I can rebuild the original.

Thanks again.  I'm feeling re-motivated.  There is a classic car event this weekend at the old Mosport raceway, now called the Canadian Tire something or other. I plan to check it out tomorrow but will get back at the 230sl on Sunday.

jackhughes81

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2014, 19:57:28 »
I bought a standard 12v pump putting out max 35psi, 1.5l/min and installed.  The car will not start.  I checked CSV and the plunger functions but I am not sure if fuel going to manifold.  The plugs are not wet, even though I crank for a couple minutes.  I think the CSV spray nozzle is plugged? but I cant remember where in the manual to find how to physically clean it.  I will spray start fluid into manifold and see if fires.  jack

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2014, 22:02:56 »
Now, re-connect your pressure gauge to check to see if you installation is producing proper pressure and volume. You may not have the system primed up yet? Remember the fuel pump must be gravity fed from the fuel tank, so make sure it is not mounted  too high.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jackhughes81

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2014, 12:56:20 »
will do.. I took the csv valve apart and found the actual valve piece is missing... I think when I removed line to check pressure (long ago) I didnot see or realize the 'valve' was there..  is there a place to purchase replacement?  With no physical valve there is no fuel flowing so no flooding, but no start help as well.. thanks for the advice...  jack

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2014, 13:22:04 »
Post the part number or a photo, since there are several versions.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jackhughes81

Fuel Injection pump adjustment starting point
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2014, 01:21:02 »
Joe,

I have installed the recommended replacement fuel pump per this forum, have plenty of flow and pressure at the FI pump.  I have good spark at least from a pull-the-plug arc test.  I crank and crank the starter with only a stumble of fire occasionally. Prior to this the car ran and stalled after a minute with very rough running.  I know the FI pump mixture control knob was SEVERELY adjusted.  I dont know where on its scale it is now.  Question is this: Is it possible to have a no start condition if WAY off?  How do I bring it into some spot that will allow me to start regardless of emissions?  Where should I set it?  I am hesitant to run it all one direction for fear of dialing off some internal threaded component and rendering it useless...  Any starting point?    I have enlisted a BMW motorcycle mechanic (Peter Meitencort)  to work on this German machine.  It is so close to starting, just seems to not fire continuously.  I also noted my radio no longer has power-checked at its fuse..  I dont find anything except a mention of inline fuse for where the power to the radio comes thru the fusebox... thanks so much for the help--- jack