Author Topic: We always think it will never happen to us ….  (Read 5708 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
We always think it will never happen to us ….
« on: January 17, 2014, 00:23:10 »
...... Well I was dead wrong and today it happened to us …

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a gift for a friend and I’m pretty sure that is the web site someone from Eastern Canada (Province of Quebec) hacked into. Stealing amongst other things I’m sure my my personal information name, address, phone number and credit card information.

Today I was notified (by the Western Canada web site issuing the certificates) that someone ordered 2 gift certificates for Eastern Canada restaurants. One for $300- and another for $200- Naturally due to “Heads up of the Individual at the Western Canada web site” she contacted me since there was reason for concern.

What gave it away that the charge was against my account and shipment of the restaurant certificate was to be made to another address in Eastern Canada.

Naturally I cancelled my card. When I was talking to the credit card representative I was told that there was another attempt to charge $1,000- against my account that the credit card company declined.

The question is where will it all end, How secure are the places we are dealing with be it ordering a gift or anything else for that matter. Perhaps we need to return to the COD (charge on delivery) system or simply asking for an invoice and paying by cheque. I know from now on I shall check my account instead of monthly on a weekly basis.

Why am I writing this, well I just like to share it with my friends. Keep an eye on your money, someone out there likes a piece of it. Be on guard. One thing I know it’s not getting better. I know once you notify the credit card company that you did not order this or that they will not charge you, then just think of all the hassle it involves.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
Re: We always think it will never happen to us ….
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 00:52:26 »
Isn't life grand - My credit card data has been hacked twice in the last couple years - once it was a gas station and once from a major retailer in a high end mall. 

None of the internet purchases, ebay purchases, motorcycle shops, or even sketchy purchases on the indian reservation caused me any problems.  Both times were legitimate  firms with dishonest employees.   

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:04 »
Ian, There is a nice Lady in Vancouver, BC that is doing her job right. I wrote her a nice thank you return e-mail once she wrote me that funds have been returned into my account and I then cancelled the card.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 12:48:17 »
Which is one reason we use PayPal. If you pay your membership via CreditCard, you use PayPal. Our site never gets to see your credit card number or bank account number. We can't store it -- we never even see it. We just receive notification that someone paid sl113.org some money with a random transaction number (which was generated when you renewed or signed up for your membership) and an e-mail address.

Clearly PayPal can, and has to spend a lot more on security of their systems than we could ever hope to achieve. If this site is ever fraudulently hacked or accessed all they can get at is your e-mail address, and your physical address information.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 13:45:12 »
One--just one--of our Visa cards is regularly hacked. This is a card we barely ever use, and they catch it before we do, cancel the card, and issue us a new one. The cards we use all the time seem to be somewhat safe. Every time there is anything out of the ordinary they call us.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

cbenz1

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 00:57:33 »
I also use Paypal. Be sure to add an extra layer of security where you gets texted a 6 digit code to your phone to complete the transaction. Well worth the effort

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 22:31:50 »
I set up PayPal for ordering some X-Mass gifts, I think my card got hacked at a gas station. Apparently that is one of the danger zones now. My plan is to purchase Gas Gift Cards from now on (inside the gas station / store) and use them instead of my credit card. Most other organizations are secure (touch wood) I understand.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember is that the credit card company has a responsibility to deal with this, and that one has NO OBLIGATION to cover the charges. They have insurance for this, and it's standard practice for them simply to cancel your card, issue a new one, and carry out their investigation while writing off the charges. So we as consumer / should be charged absolutely nothing from this.

Security is improving all the time apparently; we're actually safer now, using the web, than we have been before when crooked clerks at stores could copy your credit card information on the sly while processing your payment. I'm glad in one case the card issuer refused the charge (most likely they had no pin number) and on the other charges it was clear to the web on line store that charges were against me and shippment of the restaurant certificates to go to another Province was a bit fishy and that is why they called me.

Peter is right PayPal is the way to go and checking my card statement on line more often will give me the heads up.