Author Topic: Modified carpet from KHM  (Read 2218 times)

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Modified carpet from KHM
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:04:56 »
Quite a few months ago a new carpet for my 280SL arrived from KHM. It all fitted beautifully except for the drivers carpet which was wildly wrong. The first attachment on this post is a word document showing a photo of it, with text boxes showing what is wrong as I don't know how to put arrows and texct boxes on JPG files.

To their credit KHM immediately accepted that it was not right and have supplied a replacement  carpet to my specifications, at no cost. It seems clear to me that they do not have a credible pattern for the RHD drivers carpet.  The next attachment shows what  I sent back to them with the modifications I wanted. 

The third attachment shows new carpet where I fitted grommets they supplied, to the exact point I wanted them. I also got a local motor trimmer to cut a slot down to a small hole for the clutch hydraulic line and he fitted an overlap piece of velcro at the back of the slit to close it up afterwards, shown in the 4th attachment.

I am very pleased with the end result however wish I had listened to DrMB when he suggested to me that I should get the drivers mat suppled unbound and get it all done in NZ.
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto